Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ARCserve v9 and Exchange Agent

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobcharles

Technical User
Apr 24, 2003
US
I am running v9 on a Windows 2000 SPIII DC and am trying to backup an Exchange 2000 SPIII member server. We previously had ARCserve 2000, which I uninstalled and then installed v9. ARCserve v9 is up and running, and have no problems backing up files that are on the local DC. I have been unable to get the Exchange agent to authenticate with the user account provided in order to do brick level backups. The user account has all the correct domain memberships recommended by CA, and has been delegated as a Full Exchange Administrator. When I go to configure the Exchange Agent, I get the "Failed to Authenticate" message. I have also tried letting the Exchange Agent configuration process create the user account. I get the same Failed to Authenticate message. The user account gets created in Active Directory, but the Exchange Agent does not like whatever account I try and use. I have tried uninstalling everything and reinstalling, but have had no success. I have read other posts about logging into both servers with the user account I am trying to use, none of that has worked. I saw another post where the person had the same problem, and uninstalled everything,deleted related registry keys, and then reinstalled. I wanted to see if anyone else has any ideas before I go and start hacking away at the registry. If I hose the DC, it'll be my butt, so I want to edit the registry as a last resort. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks for your input.

BoB

Have you gotten anywhere with this problem? I'm currently experience the same exact problem and was hoping maybe you figured it out because it is driving me crazy as I follow the steps that are supposed to make it work and continue to get the same error.

You do not need to authenticate the exchange agent in order to do an Information Store backup. The authentication is only for Brick Level backups.

Can you do an IS backup? Desepect brick level for now so you can protect your data.

In order to authenticate the exchnage agent (to do brick level backups) log into the exchange server (where the agent resides) WITH the account in which you intend to authenticate the exchnage agent, then try to authenticate it.

Let us know how you do, and again, you don't need to authenticate the agent to do a full information store backup!

-arcagent

I need to do brick level backups and I've tried all the steps to do the authentication. I have a network with two domains with a signel one way trust relationship. I've created a user (as a service) Joined it to the admin, dom admins, and back up operaters in the trusted domain. Sent an email, deleted the email, left outlook running then tried to authenticate and still get the same EC=1314. The user was always added to the admin role in the exchange server. Any ideas what I did wrong?
Thanks in advance

HI,

Give the account LOCAL permissions on the exchange server.

Add to the LOCAL administrators, backup oper.. power users.

Login locally to the Exchange server as opposed to the domain..

run the config.

cheers
speshalyst

So it Shall be Written!
So it Shall be Done!!

My problem with that is where the exchange server resides is a domain controller and doesn't have local permissions

I am having the same problem. I still get the following errors if i un-check brick level backup and only try the Exchange IS -
E8601
Failed to connect to agent (Agent=dbaexch, EC=1385)

User has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer

The exchange server with the agent installed is in a different domain to the ArcServe 9 server. I have tried using exchange service accounts, ArcServe service accounts
and administrator accounts from each domain, but i always get the same response in the agent configuration tool.

Where can I select which account to use in ArcServe for the IS backup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back