Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Arcserve still tries to backup a file that has been moved

Status
Not open for further replies.

IS300

MIS
Oct 29, 2003
CA
I have been using Arcserve 2000 on W2K server for the last few months. I have just noticed that Arcserve still tries to backup files that have been deleted. I deleted a file, then ran through the backup log. It said it was unable to find that file.

When I looked at the job, the file was still selected.

Is there a way around this? We have a directory on the file server that has files that constantly get moved.

Thanks,

Yes, you need to change your backup source selection from static to dynamic.

This is shown by the green box on the volume selection. If you look at your backup job for that directory in the volume you will notice that the volume selection box is half shaded.

This means you have been selective on your backup. you need to change this to backup the full volume by enabling the selection box to full green.

Now it doesn't matter what get directories of files get changed in that volume as it will backup that volume dynamically.

What about directories or files that you don't want to backup in that volume? Then you can use the filters and exclude directory or file patterns for that specific volume.

You will find this documented in the later versions of ARCserve but I believe the dynamic volume rules still apply to AS2000.

Hope this helps :)

You mean that I have to select the entire computer for it to know that files have been moved around?

I know what you mean by the volumes. We have a file server, with serveral Drives, say Q: R: S: T:.

Now all the drives will be fully backed up, except for S:\ since I am excluding a directory.

Does this mean not know if the T: drives have files that have been moved around, even though the S: drive is the only one that is static?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back