Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Arcserve SQL Agent

Status
Not open for further replies.

drucej31

IS-IT--Management
Oct 22, 2002
GB
Hi All

Hoping someone can assist with this problem, trying to backup a SQL server database using the ArcServe SQL Agent, getting an error E8604 which the usual Computer Associates fantastic error handling, indicates a problem either with 1) Backup Agent failed to put backup object in backup mode or 2) Security for BNackup Agent does'nt have enough privilege.

The actual job log indicates a Logon Failure, i'm absolutely certain that the security for the job is ok and i've checked this by both doing a manual backup using that login and various other checks. I'm really running rapidly out of ideas, tried the usual uninstall / reinstall - stopping / starting services. Also I know the client agent is ok as i've been able to backup static files using the agent.

Please Help!

Cheers
JD.

1. Please post the full error message.
2. What version of ARCserve?
3. What version of SQL Server?
4. What kind of authentication is SQL configured to use?
5. Does SQL list BUILTIN\Administrators as logons?
6. What user did you specify for the backup?
7. Are ARCserve and SQL on the same machine?
8. Is this a new problem or has it never worked?

It is possible that a user account does not have sufficient rights, but then again it may be something else.

Error 8604.

Version 9.1

SQL Server 7.0

Fairly sure it does, i've tested this using an ODBC connection.

Not sure.

Tried both the SA user and domain admin, both have full permisssions for access to DB's

No.

Never worked.

Do you have the ArcServe client on this server?
My experience is that agent(s) for say, SQL or the Open File Agent work in conjuction with the ArcServe Windows client agent...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back