Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ARCserve speed drops down!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Hi: i have a new DLT1 backup tape and a windows NT 4.0 server.
i have just bought the CA arcserve 6.61, and im having problems with it.
when i make a simple backup with the NT backup utility it goes well at about 36MB per minute, and after about 3 minutes it drops down to about 7-11MB per minute and stays like that. this tape supposed to do at best 180MB per minute.
whats wrong?
need help!

It sounds more likely having problems with your system or drive than with Arcserve. Troubleshooting however is more or less the same method with any backup software, NTbackup or Arcserve. i.e. eliminate any possible problems with the drive, bus, card, system, os.

1. check out the arcserve logs and NT event logs for scsi errors. i.e. is your cable of poor quality and/or too long ?
2. Is your system disk on the same bus as the tape drive ?
It is desirable to have seperate buses for tape, CDRW, etc. to avoid buffer under-runs.
3. defrag your system disk.

if your only running a low powered 32 bit server with a cheesy scsi setup i wouldn't expect to get anything over 80 MB/min. James.Horvath@truedatasan.com
True Data Storage Networks., Inc.
CA Storage Solutions Provider
StorageTek Authorized Dealer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back