Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ArcServe slowing now network

Status
Not open for further replies.

TechMC

MIS
Dec 9, 2003
US
We run a backup every night in our company using Arcserve 2000. For some reason, its slowing down our network tremendously. Before, we had a 10 hour window to run a Full backup… we had the time so we did fulls ...Now our window has decreased and we have about 6-8 hours to run a full back u…Not enough time anymore. The window has shrunk because users from our remote offices around the world are accessing data on our internal LAN. Is there any way around this issue? Should Arcserve be slowing down our network to the point were users in other locations on our network are timing out when accessing applications. The reason I ask is that as soon as the backup starts remote offices start complaining that they can’t access data on the corporate LAN(they are getting timed out). For example, the first server to get backed up is the Arcserve server, the backup device is hooked up directly to via a scsi cable. Even, when it is backing up itself it slowing the LAN down. I don’t see why this happens because on this first server(Arcserve Server) it is going from server to backup device. It has not even started backing up data through the LAN yet. I would say we are backing up100GB of data including. Mostly documents and our exchange info. store. Thanks, I appreciate all replies.

How many servers do you back up?
Do you run any agents for database or open file?
Is ArcServ residing on you domain controller or on another server?
Do you have file compression or virus scanning turned on?

It could be important to check these.

We back up 8 servers. We are backing up the servers using the Arcserve client agent for windows 2000. Aside from that, the only other agent that we use is the exchange agent. Arcserve resides on a windows 2000 member server. File compression is done by our backup device (HP ultrium 460E), this server is also a corporate Anti virus server (Norton Antivirus corporate edition). All other servers have the Norton antivirus agent installed on them.

Do you by any chance have your backup source selected through the network?
It also helps if you have Gigabit NIC card.

In your source tab

-Check-Mark “My computer”

-Under the “client agents” tree place a Check-Mark to the sub tree “Windows NT/ Windows 2000Agents.

This way the backup is dynamically selects all drives and Data Bases, and you are not backing up your ArcServ Server through the network.

This how we are backing up the Arcserve server already.

backing it up is not the problem...Is just that we are experiencing network slow downs trememdously. I was wondering if there is a way around were my network will nto perform poorly when backing up. Any ideas?

I appreciate your help. Thanks

If the virus detection program is configured to scan outgoing/file reads that can slow things down.

For a real solution add a second NIC in each server and setup a network dedicated to backup. The Client Agent can be configured to use a specific address.

Sounds like a great idea..Can you elaborate more on your idea. Also, is this the only way it can be done? Thanks

The idea is simple just create a second network just for backup. My specialty is backup restore not networks, so off the top of my head I can not provide the exact steps needed to install and configure this type of network. It is not the only way but it is the cheapest. For instance it is a lot cheaper than putting in a SAN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back