Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

arcserve requesting media

Status
Not open for further replies.

francisdela

Technical User
Jun 19, 2003
GB
I'm using arcserve 2000 to try and back up my exchange 2000 server. All of a sudden its starting to request media everytime i try to run a job. I've formatted tapes and created new jobs but it still asks me for media. I'm starting to get worried as its been over a week since i've had a backup. I'd appreciatte any help.

Does it ask you to insert the tape at the start of the job, or somewhere during the job?

- If it's at the start of the job, make sure that you use the GROUP as the device to back up to and not the actual inserted tape when you create your jobs... otherwise it will always look for that specific tape, thus, prompting you to insert the correct media.

- If it's in the middle of the job, there is a chance that your tape is full. Check your logs to see if it says: Media is full.

Hope this helps.

I have been having this same issue for a month. no backups! when i check the job in the morning it is asking for "blank media" as if the job was running but ran out of space. however when i look at the activity log it lists an error (W3828) "could not find this media" and the job never even starts. i set the job to use the GROUP as the device not the media. i have another server with the exact same configuration and it backs up data without error. I've used cleaning tapes, reconfigured the devices, reconfiged the job, etc... if we loose data, i lose my job because there hasn't been a backup. HELP!

Check your DATABASE, look in the logs for the backup. I bet you will see and error that says FAILED TO LOGIN TO DATABASE.

If that is true, the tape can't be written because the tape can't be deleted from the database.

Check to make sure the SERVICE account in the ADMIN SERVER section is still valid and a valid password, also stop and start the database again.

Phil Gordemer
Manager, Technical Support
CVC Services

Nope, no such error in the logs and the account information is correct for the ARCServe Server Admin.

Well, I'd say format the tape by hand and start a new job and watch it go (run now).

For one, you'll have a backup and you'll also get to see exactly what and where it barfs.

I think it's worth slowing down the servers if it's been a month that you have not had a real backup.

"In space, nobody can hear you click..."

Yes I ran the job manually yesterday and it worked.. with no problems. I'm thinking there may be some sort of maintanence running at night when the backup is trying to. lookin into it. this is a pain in the ass.

There is a patch for this on the CA web site and it solved my problem with this.

Hey CokeandSushi ... can you post the link for this fix ...
I'm recieving the exact same error.

Thanks,

kovacsa

Hi there, i have exactly the same problem. Could you let me know which fix from arcserve you used. Thanks !

Hello All ...

I was able to recity this, but the exact cause is still unknown to me. Try cutting down on the amount of data being backed up daily.

Also .. run ArcServe DB pruning daily.

Let me know how it works out.

Thanks,

kovacsa

I used that patch and now i have the following. On some days the backup runs and on other days the backup doesn't run. There is no real pattern to find. Could there be any other solution ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back