Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ARCserve requesting media sequence #2 to continue backup...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barcellos

Technical User
Jul 25, 2003
GB
Dear All,

I run ARCserve 11.1 SBS Edition (Build 3100). I have an external VS80 DLT drive (40Gb native, up to 80Gb compressed). Hardware compression is ON. My backup spans 4 sessions (a user data area - typically Microsoft Office documents & PDF's, & the Exchange system). Total amount of data, uncompressed is approx 36Gb.

My overnight backups are stopping during session 4, requesting "Next media, Sequence #2", then "W3831 - Unable to find any media tha can be used in this job".

I would have expected my data set to easily fit on one tape, given that even uncompressed it is less than the native capacity of the drive, yet hardware compression is switched on anyway.

If I have missed out any information, please let me know & I'll endeavor to getthis post updated.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Hi Barcellos
This is a common problem. Customers usually complaint that the amount of data they try to backup is supposed to fit in just one media.
Have you checked if the information you are backing up is located in an compressed file system?
If this is a windows box, look if the files are shown in blue, if this is the case the drive is compressed.
Try turning the HW compression off and then do a backup using BAB.
compression + compression = expansion
Hope this works.

Carlos Alberto.

Many thanks for your reply Carlos.

I have tried turning hardware compression off, & using the software compression within ARCserve, though this gives exactly the same results.

The Windows files are not in blue, therefore not compressed already.

Barcellos,
This may be a bit simplistic, but I haven't seen it addressed and thought I would mention it.

Are your backup jobs set to overwrite or append to the media?

Do you have the ability to use a completely brand new tape? If so, does this same issue occur with it?

Blister911,

Thanks for your reply.

The job is set to overwrite, & we have tried brand new tapes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back