Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ARCserve requesting media sequence #2 to continue backup...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barcellos

Technical User
Jul 25, 2003
GB
Dear All,

I run ARCserve 11.1 SBS Edition (Build 3100). I have an external VS80 DLT drive (40Gb native, up to 80Gb compressed). Hardware compression is ON. My backup spans 4 sessions (a user data area - typically Microsoft Office documents & PDF's, & the Exchange system). Total amount of data, uncompressed is approx 36Gb.

My overnight backups are stopping during session 4, requesting "Next media, Sequence #2", then "W3831 - Unable to find any media tha can be used in this job".

I would have expected my data set to easily fit on one tape, given that even uncompressed it is less than the native capacity of the drive, yet hardware compression is switched on anyway.

If I have missed out any information, please let me know & I'll endeavor to getthis post updated.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the link.

However I've read through this & am happy with my backup set using hardware compression (though I do admit I'm not sure where to check what ratio this gives).

I'd expect that the user data (mainly .xls, .doc & .pdf's) should compress somewhat. This session is around 25Gb uncompressed. The Exchange data is approximately 9Gb.

Thanks.

Ok, one thing with these VS80/DLT1 drives is that if the tape has been used before with a DLT drive then it will remain at that capacity forever, so if for example it was used in a DLT4000 DLT20/40 etc, then the maximum native would be 20 Native and 40 compressed.

You can also try patching up with the service pack as I'm sure there was a VS80 block size fix in it, although I'm not sure whether this will have any direct bearing on the problem.

Presumably you're using DLT type IV tapes in the drives right? Have you tried using new tapes? Do you get the same problem if you use new tapes?

Is the data on the ARCserve server?
Are there any soft write errors?

Thanks again for the input.

These tapes are type IV, & have only been used in this drive. I haven't tried a new tape yet, though I can't see that 4 tapes in a row (daily cycle, Mon-Fri) have all become faulty.

There are no other errors in the log at all - the only one is that listed in my original post.

The DLT drive has fully up to date firmware, & passes all L&TT 4.1 tests.

I will check for ARCserve updates for 11.1 SBS 3100 & be back.

just one other thought - you have tried quick-erase plus'ing the tape before backup as a test right (not just format or quick erase)

vschumpy - No I haven't tried that yet - please can you explain what you mean as I'm not sure what "plus'ing" is (sorry if it's obvious !).

When you erase a tape you have an option to quick erase, quick erase plus, or long erase - choose the middle option. It should ensure a new header is written to the tape overwriting any potentially bad header.

vschumpy - Thanks for that, I'll give it a go.

davidmichel - Sorry I hadn't mentioned in my last reply to your post - the data is local to the server.

Have updated to build 3200 (SP2).

However, when I check Help/About, it reports that it's not licensed. I then click on license & each component still has the original code in place, along with the word Licensed.

I'm unable to remove, re-add these.

Any ideas - is this be something I should be worried about ?

Further Information :

If I try & register the software, it gives me a message suggesting "INVALID_STRAT".

I have ran the license program install again from <CDROM>\INTELNT\LICENSE\1033\ENT.

Now when opening Help/About, all products show as Unlicensed Trial, even though under each relevant component, the old code is still visible.

If I run CALICNSE.EXE from C:\Program Files\CA\SharedComponents\CA_LIC\ it doesn't show any products, though if I try to add the codes from here, it says they are already in use.

In attempting to fix my simple backup with the SP2 upgrade, it seems to have screwed up all my ARCserve licensing - HELP !!

You need to clear the registry of the licensing information and relicense the product

Goto the registry the following path

HKLM\Software\Computer Associates\License\Products\

You should find folders 31BA, 31EX and 31SQ...

Export all the three folders and then delete them

Now just relicense the SBS option.

NOTE: The above folders hold good only for the SBS option consisting of the base, sql agent and exchange agent. For other products it would be other folders.

** Once you relicense it you can delete the exported keys.

papushka - Thanks for the advice, however this hasn't solved the licensing issue. The original codes are still listed for the SBS product & it won't let me reapply them as they've already been used.

There should be a folder call 31SB as well can you delete that as well.

Is this on the manager ? Or are you checking the executable calicnsc.exe in the ca_lic folder? Also when you look at your licensing certificate whats is the key for, SBS standard edition or premium edition?

Have tried both ways. It is for SBS Standard.

Looks like there are two problems.
1) licensing
2) capacity on tape

1) go to the TLC (Total License Care) contact page.

Open an issue with TLC and they will take care of the licensing problem.

2) multiplex & multi stream jobs, lots of small files, compressed files such as mp3, jpg, zip, etc., soft wright errors, all use a lot of space on tape.

Another thing you can try is to adjust the Job Engine buffer size. ARCserve Admin, Configuration, Job Engine tab. Try raising it, if that does not work then try lowering it.

Just to resurrect this one !

CA were able to assist with the licensing issue which cropped up during the intial problems. However, they were unable to assist further.

We have been to site & done a full remove/reinstallation/license/SP of the software. Recreated our backup job but it still asking us for a second tape !

The job is approx 38Gb. Our drive is an external VS80 (40Gb native) with hardware compression enabled. The data consists of the user drive (approx 30Gb - office data & pdf's, very few graphics files), & the Exchange Organisation (database & brick levels - approx 8Gb).

The original tapes have been formatted correctly & only used in this drive. We have also tried new tapes.

Any further ideas anyone ?!

Many Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back