Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Arcserve r15 sp1 using previous day tape

Status
Not open for further replies.

eprice2

Technical User
Feb 8, 2007
US
I have ArcServe 15 sp1 and my daily job is failing because it continues to try to find the previous days tape. When it doesn't see it, the job fails.

E3703 Unable to open media. (MEDIA=GCN03, EC=ERROR: THE TAPE NOT FOUND)
E3834 Unable to find any suitable media that can be used in this job.

When I kick the job off manually in the morning, it uses the next available tape without error. The job is set to use any tape from a group. When the job is done, I manually eject the tape from the superloader for safe keeping. The option to automatically eject the tape was unchecked before and I was getting these errors:

W8003 Media manually ejected from Drive [2], in Library [Device:3][QUANTUM UHDL ]
W6500 Client connect to tape failed (Tape Name = GCN15, Random ID = 02EF, Seq = 1)
E3703 Unable to open media. (MEDIA=GCN15, EC=ERROR: THE TAPE NOT FOUND)
E3834 Unable to find any suitable media that can be used in this job.

I never had these issues with version 12.5. Is there a way to have it do a quick or full inventory automatically everyday?

Hi -

You can definitely use the ca_devmgr utility to do this. It's in one of the ArcServe directories - run it from the command line with /? to see the available options.

I used to have to use this when I'd change out the magazines in an autoloader every week - same type symptoms. I no longer have access to ArcServe, but I think I was doing a dismount and then what CA calls a long mount. I'm pretty sure you can do this with a single drive as well. Once you've got the command syntax down via the command line, copy it and paste it into the ArcServe utility to run a scheduled task - sorry, can't remember the location in the app.

I should mention also that if you have the available disk space, it's a really good idea to back up to disk first, then to tape. I always had my jobs configured like this where I only had a single tape drive so if I had a tape error, and that's not an uncommon occurrence, my backup would still run and I could go back and re-run the disk to tape portion of the job (again from the command line) at my convenience.

Thanks. I'm running ca_devmgr nightly to inventory the tapes and no issues now with ArcServe not finding a tape.

Wish I could backup to disk first then tape. I don't have enough storage right now and no budget for a NAS this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back