Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ArcServe R15 Backup to Disk Device using Dedupe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xoron

IS-IT--Management
Oct 7, 2003
CA
We're planning our implementation of R15 and using Dedupe and local disk for on "onsite" backups (offsite will be to tape and sent out daily).

Ideally we'd have 2 disk devices, say DEDUPE01 and DEDUPE02 on a local disk on the file server. The backup jobs would run a full (dedupe) to each device for a 3 month cycle and then switch to the other device. When a device gets reused, it would format the device, and start a fresh new dedupe set.

Now here is my problem, the job scheduler in ArcServe is horrible. The best I can come up with is 2 jobs, each of which do a daily full backup M-F and exclude it from running for the 6 months of the year when I want the other job to run. The only problem with this setup is that I don't know how to schedule a "format job" to clean out the FSD.

Suggestions on how to make this setup work or maybe I'm missing something and there is a better way to go about this?

I understand from your configuration that you want to backup to disk media, keep it there for 6 Months and then overwrite the data. If this is the case why don't you create 1 disk device and purge the data from the dedupe device after 6 Months ? This way you'll have to configure it once and don't have to bother about formatting or erasing media. Also every backup made will remain for 6 Months and then purged from disk.

regards

Cyklops,

Thanks for the reply.

That makes sense, but what happens if I do a massive data cleanup / move? Won't the dedupe job becoming inefficient, and my "compression ratios" be higher than necessary.

My thought process is that if I had two sets of 3 months, then the new "first index" would rezero everything, so my deltas would only be at a max 3 months old. The way you're suggesting, my "first index" would get infinitely older with no way to set a new "first index".

X

You are right that, when you make a massive data cleanup/move, you loose on the dedup figures. However, the same counts when you use the 3 months reusage of devices unless you do the data cleanup/move right before reformatting a dedup disk.
You are also right that your first index will become older when you start on a dedup device and let arcserve handle the purging. However when you create 2 seperate dedup devices that will hold data for 3 Months each then ARCServe will use the dedup feature on 2 entities that will not have any global dedup compression. When creating just one dedup disk the 'compression ratios' therefore will be higher.

Cyklops,

I agree with you 100%, but I can budget for 2x dedupe space, it's harder to budget for 1x dedupe space with a potential for infinite growth. :)

Ideally the plan would consist of 4 jobs:
1. 3 months backup on Dev1
2. 3 months backup on Dev2
3. Format Dev1
4. Format Dev2

Scheduled to format the device right before the first time a new dedupe device is used. That way if I had to blow away a dedupe device at all, I still have 3 months of backups on the other device.

With only one dedupe device, and I had to do a format of it, I'm left with no onsite backups whatsoever. Not cool.

And while I'm at it, what's up with the crappy scheduler in the backup job setup? I mean I can schedule more granular jobs in crontab on a Unix system (days of the week, months of the year, specific day of the month, hours of the day). To setup a job to backup in Jan, Feb, Mar, July, Aug, Sept of every year requires so many jobs (or exclusions) to get it right in ArcServe.

X

If explained this way, you got a point configuring it the way you describe.
As for formatting the devices: use the Job Scheduler Wizard (to be found in the utilities) to format the DeDup Devices on a 3 Monthly basis using the ca_devmgr format command (the Syntax for this can be found on the command line reference in the ARCServe docs - in pfd format on the DVD). Strangely enough it is very easy to format dedup devices even if they hold large portions of data.

Cyklops,

I saw the command line tape format, but from what I can see, it can only format actual tapes, not FSD devices. But I could be wrong.

X

as far as I know, FSD devices are seen as SCSI targets from CA_DEVMGR so you should be able to format them. It always worked with 'normal' FSD's, I was not able to test it out yet.
Regarding the Dedup devices: keep in mind that CA advises to keep the data and the indexes on separate volumes.

Re: separating the indexes and data.

I think that's more for performance reasons. I'm not too concerned about that part, so I'm planning on putting both on the same volume.

I'll test out the formatting (ca_devmgr) to see if it'll work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back