Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Arcserve pruning 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

carsonq

Technical User
Mar 18, 2004
CA
Hello all...
I'm running Arcserve BAB v9 (patched SP4)on Windows 2000 Server with an STK L80 with 2 LTO drives.

Has anyone had a problem where the pruning job, prunes last nights backup? I have had this problem intermittently but have not been able to nail down when or why this happens.
I only see that in the Brightstor.log file that the tapes from last night were pruned (occassionaly) even when I've set the pruning to only prune records older than 61 days.
I have more than sufficient disk space for the database and the pruning job starts about an hour before the backup.

Now, I'm sure you all know that CA says that you shouldn't grow your database that big and its not recommended that you increase the default of 30 days but even when I run the database utilities to check the databases (every week) without any errors I might add... I still have this intermittent problem. Maybe they should change the name from VLDB to VSDB (Very Small DataBase?)

CA has been as usual, f'n useless in so much as to tell me to initialize the databases - gee thanks! So now I've had to start from scratch again but with no solution.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Carson

Sounds like some how the database is getting tapes mixed up. Perhaps a problem with barcodes, or tapes that were used without barcodes and then later had them added.

All our tapes have barcodes (in fact, we've never had any tapes in the library without barcodes) and the worst part is this problem has not shown any consistency. Each time the tapes are mounted in the library they are found and recognized.

Thanks for your input DavidMichel.

The database still might be getting mixed up on tapes but perhaps it is due to corruption.

Check in the Database Media view. Make sure that everything looks correct. There might be multiple entries with the same serial number. There should be only one entry per serial number that does not say destroyed, all the rest with that serial # should say destroyed.

Also keep a record of the tapes that this happens to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back