Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Arcserve not seeing the Exchange Agent

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevstar

Programmer
Nov 21, 2001
GB
I have got two servers running Arcserve. One has got a smaller tape drive than the other. I have installed the exchange agent on the exchange server (which is a differnt server from the Arcserve ones). One Arcserve server can see it but the other one cannot. It wouldn't be so bad if it was the other way round because the server that can see the agent is the one with the smaller drive (DOH!)

Any help as to why this is or how to get over the problem is greatfully recieved.

Thanks

KEv

Hi,
Maybe this will help you,

Browse to the WindowsNT/Windows 2000 Agents
Point to exchange server agent, right click and select Modify Agent. Remove the '_IP', after the servername.

I hope this will solve your problem, please let me know.

Couldn't get that to work, there is no exchange agent under the client agents in Arcserve. Do I need to install something like outlook so that my Arcserve server can see the Exchange server

The Arcserve Browser must be installed on a on a server in the domain, or in a trusted domain. I assume it's a w2k domain. The Exchange resource kit must be installed on the machine where the Arcserve manager is running, if this machine does not have the Exchange client (or the exchange server) installed

It doesnt have either Exchange server or an exchange client installed therefore I will try and install the exchange resource kit. WOuld it also work by installing a copy of Outlook 2000?

THanks for the help

KEv

BlowIT might be on the right track with the first post, just didn't go far enough...

You need to make sure that computer name resolution is enabled to do an exchange (or other DB agent) backup. If you used "add using auto-discovery", this will not be the case.

Select modify on one of your effected jobs, right click the server, and select modify agent. Make sure that the host name matches the IP name of the machine (Remove it "_IP", if there). Set the IP address to all zeros (0.0.0.0), and then select "Use Computer Name Resolution". Click OK.

Go back and check your job(s) to make sure this "all zeros" version of the source is selected. Make any changes as nessesary. Delete the "_IP" version from the list once done, to avoid confusion.

Hope this helps.

You may also want to check out the post of BLOWIT's about ArcServe Manager just disappearing once you get things rolling. Just incase the same thing happens to your machines.

the only reason why the manager will close is because the agent has not be set up properly, or because patches have not been supplied. Namely sp3 + qo06202

We have applied SP3 and all fixes (there already is a new fix for Exchange agent QO13760) but none of them helped against a crashing ASmgr GUI. Even CA does not know why or how it happens.
Every time it crashes on a different point in modifying the job, making no difference if done from the console, from another AS Manager or thru a terminal session. The only thing that seems to help is doing one modification at a time and then apply. This ofcourse takes an awfull long time.

Greets.

The patch qo06202 or qo13760 has nothing to do with this problem. This is a fix for bricks level backup. The problem occurs only if the information store has been included in the job. The exchange backup agent has been setup correctly: a disaster recovery works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back