Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ArcServe not Restoring properly 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgsrg

MIS
Oct 24, 2000
CA
We're running ArcServe 6.61 on NT4. I've setup to backup the server every night (which works fine). But restoring is the problem. I can restore anything from 'Session 0001' with no problem. But all other sessions (0002 and on) won't restore anything even though there is content on the tape. ArcServe runs the tape looking for the session, then eventually (after a long, long time) the Job Monitor says Done, but writes an Error to the logs stating: "E3841 Unable to find session number" or "E3801 Invalid session header signature", then says "Restore operation incomplete". So of course nothing is ever restored from Session 0002 and on. I find it strange that anything in Session 0001 restores fine, but no other subsequent Sessions restore at all and come up with errors. This happens every time. I've changed tapes, reformatted the tape and started all over again, erased the tape, etc. but it still doesn't restore properly. Did I set something up wrong or install ArcServe incorrectly?

For reference, ArcServe is running on the same server as the backup using the same tape drive and the same tape every day. So I doubt it's the tape drive or tape issue.

Thanks

Grant

Hi everybody,

I have the same Problem by restoring a volume on a Netware Server. We´re running arcserveIT 6.6 with Netware 5.1 and a storagetech Robot. Everytime when I restore from DLT Tapes (I tried different) I get this message "E1065 invalid file header". In every set the restore stopps at the 3rd or 4th session. I tried all the things that have been postet here (merge, use wizard, restore with filter only, restore by media,..) any many other more. Nothing resolved the problem. It´s not possible to restore the files. In case I can see all files in the database, but not restore them. If this ist the result of backing up, I think we can change the backup system???
Does anybody know that arcserve has problems with the amount of data (250 GB)? Does anybaody have any other ideas??

in hope for help, greetings blue.

Hiya,

I also get these errors - but there is a magor pattern!

If I allow a backup to get to the end of a tape and not allow it to span...... It then has not session header information and its not possible to get the data off - now a while ago years I did manage to figure out how to do this with out using session headers but I can't for the life of me remeber now!

Same old problem here but kind of good to know there are other people stuggling, for what its' worth my experiences are:

I am using Arcserve 6.5 build 620 and never had this problem using a variety of DAT/DLT drives. It started when we got Compaq SDLT ML5026SL tape library which has been nothing but trouble as well. It started off with cluster/hardware errors
when trying to restore anything off a 2nd tape and what I think throws it is when one session spans 2 tapes. I have upgraded the firmware on the SDLT which has improved things slightly in that I can restore from tapes 2-3 etc but I still cannot restore where a large session (our data server as it happens!) spans more than one tape.

I share everyones frustrations with Arcserve and the support which I gave up on years ago.

Hi

I am using Arcserve 6.6. I am facing problem restoring a file from second session of backup. It gives an error

E3702 Unable to connect to group. (GROUP=group, EC=media_error_code)

How do I resolve this

Regards

Paul

Hi, looks like a lot of you have had issues like the one we were having. Using Arcserve 6.0 when restoring we got errors like E3801, the invalid file header signature one. Tried restoring the tape with different versions of Arcserve on different platforms but had no luck. A lot of other software and techniques we also tried but again without any success. As a last ditch effort we downloaded some demo software from
This software called MMPC or Media Merge seems to take any tape, any format and have the ability to restore it! This small program did a job that nothing else we found could. So if some of you are still having invalid file signature header errors and can't get a critical backup to restore give this a try.

Good luck, hope it helps.
Phat Hag.

Complete unintelligeble.
But I also did the restore from the WIZARD to solve the invalid header signature problem.
And I am running AS11. Makes perfect sense...
Thanks for the tip!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back