Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Arcserve media pool asking for more tapes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hodders

Technical User
Nov 15, 2000
GB
Our media pools for SQL, EXCH and FPS have a full compliment of back-up tapes, it uses GFS (i.e. 5 for daily, 5 for weekly and 12 for monthly), yet it is asking for more blank monthly tapes. Does anyone have any idea why this is so?

I'm assuming you have a library. Are the monthly tapes that you already have in there old ones? The way you have it set up, it will want to wait 12 months until it uses a monthly tape it has already used again (ie moves it from the save to the scratch set). Look at the properties of your 3 pools--how long do the tapes get saved and how many tapes must be in the save set? Unless a tape is old enough AND there are enough other tapes in the pool, it won't move it to the scratch set and so will not let you write to the tape. I also sometimes find with ARCserve that it won't move a tape to the scratch set on it's own even if it meets all the requirements. In this case you just have to move the tape to the scratch set on your own or else erase it.
Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back