Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Arcserve Manager just disappears ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

c4343

Technical User
Nov 14, 2002
US
Has anyone noticed this before? ...

When the Arcserve manager is open and the job status window is visible, click to modify an existing job and the manager window goes bye bye. I have seen this problem on a few of our clients servers and have an idea that it is memory related, but I cannot say exactly.

Make sure latest SPs are applied to ARCserve and check for any fixes on the support site. If all applied, there is probably a "silent" Dr Watson going on. check the drwtsn32.log file and check for the last error recorded. My guess is it will list a PID that will match up to the asmgr.exe process. If so, you would need to contact CA support and inform that you are logging an error when you modify a job.

Well, per the recommendation I did check the drwtsn32.log file. The log file revealed that a process did die at the time that my Arcserve manager disappeared. The problem is that there is no process name or file, only a pid=485. This doesn't give me the most ammunition to go to CA with. Anyone with recommendations?

Below the line in the log with the PID you should see a list of PID's that were running on the server. My guess is PID 485 will match with asmgr.exe.

SP4 of arcserve 2000 did address issues where modifying a job would cause this "silent" Dr. Watson (due to no actual pop up error). So make sure Sp4 is applied and if the error still occurs, send an email issue to CA and see what their response is. The email issues are free of charge. Make sure to state that SP4 is already applied and cut and paste the line indicating the process ID that is causing the error and the line indicating that the process ID is asmgr.exe

I am having the same issue with my recent upgrade to BriteStor v9.0 (I was NOT having this issue w/ Arcserve2000). There is no information on this at CA's website. Anyone else have any ideas????

TIA

Tom

If the ARCserve 9.0 GUI is shutting down unexpectedly, you should search for the same thing in the Dr. Watson log. I believe it is called BrightStorMgr.exe in ARCseve 9.0. If the error for the PID relating to the manager is in the log, the only ones able to correct the problem will be CA.

I've applied SP4 to the ARCServe Manger, BAOF, DR, and Client Agents. Now when I attempt to modify a job, ARCServe Manager crashes.

Unbelievable.

I have seen a similar post to this on the other CA group. As I said there, unfortunately CA is the only one that can change their code. It needs to be brought up to CA support. Try an Email issue that is free and try supplying the Dr. Watson log to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back