Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Arcserve Job Status quits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jce001

MIS
Jun 6, 2001
US
I'm new to Arcserve, but I haven't ever seen anything like this. All of the services start with no problem. The backup seems to run fine. If I try to go to the Job Status screen though it closes Arcserve Manager everytime. I can't figure it out. I tried stopping all the services and then going to Job Status, but it still shuts everything down. Any advice would be great. Thanks.

Hi...

Looks like a job queue corruption..

Stop the engines
rename 00000001.qsd
restart the engines
recreate the jobs

cheers
speshalyst

So it Shall be Written!
So it Shall be Done!!

We need to know the Arcserve version a build number,there are patches need to be applied first before troubleshoot this issue.

cheers

also this used to be a problem when there was an exchange agent involve. Let us know if there is any exchange in the job, or basically just the job details.

thanks,

Dave

I have a very strange problem. I am running Arcserve 2000 Advanced V7 Build 1100 on Win NT. with a Quantum DLT7000 auto loader.

I am trying to erase some tapes that were previously formatted to 40/80Gb compression to enable me to use it on the 35/70Gb compression system. When the tapes are first placed in the changer and read, the device manager see's them as unrecognisable media as expected. However if I quick erase plus them the message box appears saying erase complete but the device manager still see's them as unrecognisable media. It is the same if i do a inventory on them. I have uninstalled arcserve and then reinstalled it but he problem is still happening and it is driving me nuts.

some one please help!!!!

Is the latest tape Engine update is applied if not try to apply from support.cai.com

Hmmmm I am thinking a long erase is necessary in order to ensure the whole tape is formatted with the new compression ratio and DLT format.

Try a long erase.

g

For sclubster sorry but it will not work. Short erase or long erase it will not make a difference. There is a header section on the tape that is used by the drive and over which the application has no control. That section will always identify the tape as a 40gb tape and so the 35gb drive will not be able to use it. Bulk erase will just destroy the tape, because once that header is erased the tape will not be able to be read by any drive. This is as per Quantum support.

JCE001,

Getting back to your original Post, I have exactly the same problem. Any attempt to open the job manager immediately closes the Arcserve 2000 Manager. Running Arcserve 2000 on Win2000. Did you ever get any resolution?

I have tried the suggestion to rename the .qsd file, but it did not cure the problem. Initially opening any window would close the Manager, now after renaming the .qsd file, only job manager still causes the problem, so I suspect there is an additional file that is involved.

Thanks,

David

The qsd file solved the problem in my case. Sorry I can't be of more help. I've since moved everything to Veritas.

Do you have an Exchange or other database agent backup that is part of your job ??

regards

Cyklops,

My Acrserve is the backup used to back up all systems, including Exchange 2000 and the SQL Server (where Arcserve resides).

I deleted the 1.qsd file, did not fix the problem, so I initialized the database. When that did not fix the problem, I repeated each action two more times, ran a short backup program, then rebuilt my nightly backup jobs.

The problem appeared to be fixed, and opening the jobs no longer closed Arcserve. However.... today, attempting to open the jobs closes Arcserve again, and I have a job running that will not quit or allow me to kill, since the job window closes the manager again.

Looks like I need to do it all again, but I can not gain access now!
Any ideas on how to kill a job (short of rebooting the server-not an option!) when you can not use the job window?

Appreciate any help or ideas.

David

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back