Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ArcServe Guru Help - Exchange Backup Problems! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarbieGirl

IS-IT--Management
May 23, 2002
CA
This is the error I receive:

E8602 Failed to read from database. (DBNAME= , EC=Backup Agent Error -- (301) "Exchange Server Error. HRBackupPrepare failed. Check Backup Agent Activity Log".

I believe the Exchange Backup Agent configured correctly. I run Exchange 5.5 and ARCserve 2000, both of which are on separate computers. It is the Directory component that appears not being backed up.

I have been able to perform brick level backups without a problem.

I have checked the log files on the Exchange server and it gives me the EXACT same answer. All the ARCserve articles I have found do not address this specific error code.

Help!

Document Number: 16040
Last Updated: January 26, 1999
support.ca.com

Q: When backing up Exchange via the Exchange agent, the error "E8602 - Failed to read from database, EC = (301) HRBackupPrepare failed" is encountered.

A: Microsoft does not support incremental or differential backups when circular logging is enabled. To disable circular logging, open the Exchange Administrator. Highlight the desired Exchange server, and select Properties from the File menu. Select the Advanced tab. Un-check the Directory and Information Store items in the Database circular logging area.

This might help!!
Eamo

Thanks! However, I neglected to mention that I have unchecked the circular logging option. That is why this problem is difficult - the next step in the article you mention is "if circular logging is not enabled, call CA for tech support." I have phoned them in the past and they are pathetic.

Use the Exchange System Account to Start the "Backup Agent RPC Server Service" and use the same account to run the IS Backup.

Thanks, aravindsys! I will try this tonight to see if it works and will let you know.

Hi,

I´m having the same problem and already tried the aravindsys solution (Use the Exchange System Account to Start the "Backup Agent RPC Server Service" and use the same account to run the IS Backup.) but always receive the same error as BarbieGirl.

I also have been able to perform brick level backups without a problem, but i still can´t backup the IS and DS.

More Tips Please..
Rui

I'm sort of new to the IT field and I'm running into this same problem. For some of you more experienced IT managers out there, do you have opinions/experience on whether or not other backup programs might have the same problem with Exchange 5.5? I'm considering either getting rid of Arcserve altogether, or buying a different backup solution dedicated to backing up our exchange server. I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Matt Corbett

I have solved it!!!! I believe it all started when I turned off circular logging "after" I loaded the Exchange agent. Here is what I did to correct my problem...

1. Deleted all ARCserve components on the Exchange 5.5 computer.
2. Redownloaded QO06202.CAZ, and QO05692.CAZ
3. Reloaded the Exchange Agent.
4. Reapplied the SP3.
5. Stopped the "Backup Agent RPC server" service.
6. Made the DLL change recommended in the QO06202.CAZ patch.
7. Restarted the above mentioned Service.
8. Reapplied SP4 for Exchange 5.5

Voila - no more errors and my DS and IS are now functioning and no errors are in my log file.

BarbieGirl

I am not sure if this will help your problems, but this worked for me when I could get brick level backups but not the informations stores on Exchage 2000. I found that you need to include the domain with the username when you connect to the exchage server securities via arcserve manager. I also have the RPC service running on the exchage server as my backup system account. Be sure to make sure for exchange 2000 that this account has access rights, such as full admin, to the organization. I hope this helps, i know it is a little stupid step, but I overlooked it and it cost me 2 hours....

Nick

If the exchange server and the backup account resides in a child domain will the backup account need enterprise rights or just rights to the domain and local rights on the exchange server. Everytime I try to configure the agent i get ec=1314 which according to what I read means it doesn't have sufficient rights. It has domain admin backup operators local admin local backup exchange full admin for the domain and log on as a service right for the arcserce rpc service it is also the account used to log in to that service and outlook is configured i have sent a piece of mail and i log into the exchange server using this account to configure the agent.??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back