Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Arcserve error

Status
Not open for further replies.

rathcoffey

IS-IT--Management
Aug 8, 2002
IE
Hi All

Iam running a Win2k Advanced Server Sp3 PDC and a NT Server 4 sp6a BDC. My backup drive is in the BDC. I am using Arcserve 2000, when the backup has finished, I see that the job states 'Backup Incomplete'. When I check the log, I see that it backs up all the information I select. However I get this recurring message. '[CAT} Failed to Login to ARCserveIT Database (EC=-2005)'

I have applied all the latest patches......any ideas?

Thanks

Was this an upgrade of ARCserve 2000?

your not getting catalog information into your database, and if my assumptions are correct then under your arcserve directory in the temp sub-directory you'll have quite a few *.CAT or *.TMP files....

Let me know if this is true?

g

I lately see a lot of database issues that have to do with the 'RNNAME' variable, like :

I am getting E4101 unable to login to db engine ec=-2005. How can I resolve this error? ( errors 4101 e4101 2005 -2005 )
A: In Windows 2000 Right Click on the My Computer Icon and choose Properties. Then go to the Advanced Tab --> Environment Variables. Look for the RNNAME variable and make sure that it is the proper name of the server.

In Windows NT Right Click on the My Computer Icon and check the RNNAME variable in the Environment Variables. Make sure that the RNNAME variable reflects the proper name of the server.

If the RNNAME variable is wrong, then simply deleting the variable and rebooting the server will recreate the RNNAME with the proper name of the server.

Can your issue have anything to do with this ?? Please be aware that, despite of what CA mentions the RNNAME variable doesn't always creates itself, you'll have to create it manually in that case. A reboot is always required.

Maybe this helps

regards

Ive checked the temp dir and i have 18 .cat files.

I have checked the RNNAME section and it has the correct server name (i.e the BDC that the backup drive and arcserve is installed). On my PDC that i use a client agent to access, I have no RNNAME variable which I reckon is ok....am I right??

Any other ideas??

Thanks

rathcoffey

Check how much space you have open on that drive. Arcserve has a limit. If it gets under the limit it will quit writing to the database. Also, you might want to verify your backup user has security on the database directory.

-DJ

Free space is ok. I have enough.

As far as verifying that the backup user has security on the database directory, the backup user is Administrator and has full privileges........

How do I check or set up the security??

rathcoffey

hmm you may want to try putting in the ceredntials as "log on as" under the database engine service.

May work.

g

This is a permissions thing. Check the share permissions on the arcserve directory, make sure backup operators have change permissions. Also check security and make sure you are not restricting the backup operators. Next check the security on the database directory and make sure the backup operators have change permissions. Let me know if this works. I have had simular issuses and it always goes back to permissions.

Hope it works,

Mike Burley

This may be a dunb question but - is your Database Engine running?

Thanks Guys, Ill check all that and Ill get back to you.

The database engine is running though.

Check/do the following:

1. Log on as a service is set to Domain\username account assigned to ARCserve.
2. The service account has full permissions to the arcserve$ share.
3. The service account has Act as Part of the O/S rights

One other question: Are there a whole stream of these errors (15~30) all within a couple of seconds? If so, then, get this, it is completely normal. ARCserve does not give enough time for authentication before giving the error message. You should still see the [CAT ] file messages after those errors. If this is the case, then doing the above should prevent those erroneous errors from showing up.

I checked the permissions and ownerships and they were set to to look at a system account.

I have set it to use the Domain Admin account which has full permission for backup etc.

Ill let you know how I get on

Thanks for all your help so far

Rathcoffey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back