Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ArcServe Error *TAPE E63000 Windows NT SCSI Port Error* 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

judojim

Technical User
Feb 20, 2003
US
Using ARCServe 2000 on Windows 2000 Server (on Dell PowerEdge 2500 with Sony 8 tape autoloader) most every backup job gets an error saying,

"TAPE E63000 Windows NT SCSI PORT Error[ABSL:1061 CMD:0h] SCSI Command Retry."

I can't seem to find out what causes this, or how to fix it.
Seems like ARCServe would have a url for searching error codes like this.

Anyone have an answer to solve this problem?

This error gives me nightmares and is the one reason I wish I'd never heard of ARCserve...

Neither Dell or CA will except this is their problem - CA claims it's hardware, Dell claims it's ARCserve.

Either way to start make sure you flash all the firmware (SCSI to) and clean the drive. If you still get the error then uninstall ARCserve and install the native NT backup (you'll need to load the proper tape drive drivers for this). If this works fine then you're kinda stuck as it points to an ARCserve problem (best you can do really is reinstall ARCserve with all patches and hope the error doesn't come back).

If you get errors within NT backup then it's likely a hardware issue and you need to get Dell replacing things. One server we went through 3 drives (still didn't fix it), 2 SCSI cables (didn't fix it) and finally a new motherboard (did fix it). Dell won't usually start swapping out though until you've done the NT backup test (and even then they'll be reluctant).

E6300 is generally caused by either old/bad SCSI card drivers or that the Tape drive drivers are loaded from the OS.

If you check Device manager and see the drives with drivers starting with 5.00.XX W2K has loaded these during PnP. Not a good idea.

I too have seen this message. It can also come from unplugging the tape drive SCSI cable while the server is running. I have disconnected external DLT drives and reconnected them and this message appears and will not go away without a reboot. Check the cable connections as well.

Hope this helps

Hi all

I had the same problem before (CA could not help me)
I have found out that it only happen when i load media to the tape
And if i stop the tape service before i load new media its working ok
so every end of job i stop the tape engine & load new media while the day & 10 min before the new job run the tape service is starting

p.s. - I have tryed to change the scsi adapter 3 times before with no luck to get rid of the error

I have this one all the time, Arcserve 2K a Win 2K box with a Qualstar libaray. I have been around and around, CA will point the finger at every thing other than the code but nothing will help. It seems to happen when I do alot of jukebox activity such as importing and exporting tapes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back