Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Arcserve Email Alerts

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulBarron

Technical User
Oct 8, 2001
GB
I am trying to use Arcserve 2000's alert manager to generate an email when the backup job is successful.

I just can't get this to work though. I have an Exchange Server which I can log onto, but it just won't send an email at the end of the job. I can send broadcast messages to PC's but email won't work.

Can anyone advise me how to get email alerts working. Is there a procedure anywhere?

Thanks

Control Panel
Cheyenne Alert Norifications service. Set to Automatic and start

Ensure outlook client is installed on the server.

Decide upon Mailbox you want to use to send the alert and create if necessary. Open Outlook using profile for this account.

Open Arcserve Alert Manager.
Click service and set service account

Click on Configuration, default, Microsoft Exchange
- Add new item which and select the recipient
- Configure message as required
- Send test message

Then update your backup job in Arcserve via the options screen to send alerts using the default method.

I have finally got this working, but strangely there is the odd occasion when the backup job completes and it seesm to just decide not to send an alert.

Can anyone shed any light as to why?

Our e-mail system is groupwise, is it still possible to use e-mail alert service?

This is in response to PEKPOKP, attempting using Groupwise to send alerts. It cannot be done with GroupWise directly.

However, there is a patch for CA's eTrust Antivirus that addresses an SMTP issue when using ALERT within CA products. You do not need to be running eTrust Antivirus to use this patch; it worked for me when I wasn't able to use SMTP alerts with Arcserve 2000. It adds an "SMTP Settings" option at the bottom of the context menu when you right click on SMTP within Alert Manager.

You can download it here:

It works! I have used it and it is a MUCH simpler solution than using Lotus Notes, Exchange, or whatever to send email alerts. Good Luck!

Carpe diem, procrastination is the thief of time...

MCSE924,

I installed the patch. I managed to find the "SMTP Settings".

What i'm having problems with is getting the backup job to generate the alert.

I go into the job and specify an alert, but i can't see the smtp settings. It's still all exchange.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back