Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ARCSERVE - E8602 Failed to read from database. Agent Error (127)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bastaj

Technical User
Mar 20, 2001
CZ
I have a problem with my MS SQL 7.0 server and Arcserve 2000. I cant backup the databases with the SQL agent, this is the error message that i recive :

E8602 Failed to read from database. (DBNAME=pubs, EC=Backup Agent Error - (127) "Error at Virtual Device Set. Please
check the SQL Server VDI.LOG".)

VDI.LOG -
Error on DBASQL70TID471VD0
Error at TriggerAbort: invoked

DBASQL70.LOG -
[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Incorrect syntax near the keyword 'database'. Error at Virtual Device Set. Please check the SQL Server VDI.LOG

DBASQL70.TRC -
$ sql_dump_db(): id=0, i=0, pipe name = DBASQL70TID98VD0
$ sql_dump_db(): id=0, i=0, local_buffer=backup database [pubs] to virtual_device = 'DBASQL70TID98VD0'

$ sql_dump_db(): cmd=backup database [pubs] to virtual_device = 'DBASQL70TID98VD0'

$ sql_dump_db() - sqlexec failed
$ [SQL Server] szSqlState = 37000,fNativeError = 156, errMsg = [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Incorrect syntax near the keyword 'database'.

$ DSAGetError(): errcode=127 process:34935984
---

Thanks.

Regards: Basta

Have you resolve your problem, ha have the same and i don't find resolution.

Thanks ciao

Is this a single SQL server or a cluster? Are you trying to back up to a local tape drive, or are you backing up a SQL server across the network?

Is a single server, i try to backup across network, i try to use Pipe connection but don't work ( E8602 Failed to read from database. (DBNAME=DBNAME, EC=Backup Agent Error - (83) "Remote pipe open failed: time-out".).
I have another Sql server with Sql Agent and work Well....

Does the machine you are backing up from also have SQL and/or the DBASQL agent installed?

If using sql 7 then apply sp2 of sql server and run a backup of northwind. Also check the odbc connectivity with sa account and test the datasource, once its done..backup will not fail. If you are using a different database i.e one which is incompatible with sql 7 then you need to make it compatible first and then try backing it up.
thanks Happiness is a daily decision

Please open Query Analyzer on the SQL Server and run the
following Command :

SELECT cmptlevel FROM sysdatabases WHERE name = '<Database Name>'

Check the result of the query, if the Compatibility level is set to 65, then you will have this problem.

run the procedure sp_dbcmptlevel <database name>,70 to change the compatibility level.

Note : Before making any changes please check with the application vendor and make sure that changing the compatibility will not cause any issues with the application.

Ref. Microsoft Article :

Hope this Helps

Thanks
Cduser

Hi,
This is basically a compatibility problem in sql
If the cmptlevel is 70 and you still get this problem..
try to reregister the sqlvdi.dll on your sql server and
check it out..

thanks,
baba

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back