Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ArcServe DR Add On

Status
Not open for further replies.

jisler2

MIS
May 8, 2000
AU
We have a primary ArcSserve server (6.61) called 'prod01'. In this server we have the ArcServe installed with DR add on. We have successfully done a test DR run on this server.
We have a number of other NT servers getting backed up in 'prod01', in particular a server called 'prod02'.
I need some information/procedure please on how to DR 'prod02'.
Thanks

Jose Isler

Hallo
In order to protect a remote machine to the ARCserve host with DR, you need to run the NT-Client Agent on this machine and perform a full backup of it. You should then be able to create Computer Specific DR Disks on the AS-Host
of the remote machine, even if this machine is not available any more.
You can boot any other machine with this set of diskettes and perform a remote DR via the LAN.
It does not matter if the Storage Subsystem is different than it used to be on the original machine, but the NIC has to be identical. There are good Docs on the CD.
Regards

I have installed the WinNT Client agent on the 'prod02' server. Ran a full backup successfully.
Have created the DR disks of 'prod02' server using the DR add option in the arcServe host 'prod01' specifying 'Specific to a Computer.'

Having completed all that successfully, means no errors reported during the process, I tried to perform test DR of 'prod02'.

I am using instructions from the manual I downloaded from CA site.

The first part of the DR works okay to the first reboot stage. When 'prod02' boots up and present me with the 'Disaster Recovery Wizard window'.
1) I load the 5th floppy disk from the DR boot disk kit, ie 'DR Network Disk'.
2) I select the 'View Config' from the 'Disaster Recovery Wizard window' and select drive A.
3) It list the 'prod02' DRIF file which I then select.
4) At this point I expect information of 'Computer Name', 'Saving Date' and drive partitions etc of 'prod02' displayed in the configuration window. However in this instance it displays nothing.
5.) If I go further and select the <Next> button the DR wizard prompts if you want to perform remote DR because no local devices found. It goes through reading the 5th disk and the Windows NT CD-ROM and then reboots.
6.) This is when 'prod02' hungs on boot up and does not go any further.

I have tried this several times already but the end result is always the same.

Anyone familiar with this and have any resolution or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back