Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ARCserve deleting files during COPY?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashanderson

Technical User
Feb 5, 2001
US
I recently set up a job to COPY files from our servers on to the back up server. These files would then be backed up on to tape locally.

However, after running this copy job I got a load of W3033 errors: Unable to remove directory - Access Denied. On further investigation I found that although ARCserve had (fortnunately) failed to remove the files/folders it had succesfully deleted other files!

Surely a COPY job should only copy?

I can see no options that would cause files to be deleted during the copy job. I have no idea why the job would do this.

Has any one seen this? What causes files to be deleted during a COPY????

The copy job has several different options - Delete Files, Mirror, Create Empty directories, and Copy File Security Info.

Delete option cause the source files to be deleted after they are backed up to tape... this is sort of like moving them from the drive to tape.

Mirror causes the destination to be exactly like the source. If something already exists at the destination that not in the source it is deleted.

I suspect that you probably have the delete option selected.

garrett,

Thanks, but unfortunately I didn't have either Mirror or Delete checked. The weird thing about this problem is that only some files were deleted from the source, and not copied to the destination. It appears that most files were copied across successfully - but 'ts difficult to tell how many were deleted. I can't see connection between the files that were deleted, or any particular difference betweeen the deleted files and those that weren't deleted.

Any further insight would be much appreciated.

Hmmm... that is weird... Although you should not be getting access denied errors... The account that is being used to do the COPY job should have full access to the files and folders on the source. You should probably check to make sure that is the case. I suspect the account does not have full access and that is the reason why some files were deleted and others were not. I bet that if you were to provide full access then all files and directories would get deleted. Oddly, if you have not selected this option, I am at a loss to explain why it is doing the delete, unless perhaps it is a default operation. What version, build, service pack, etc. are you running for ARCserve?
Garrett

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back