Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Arcserve DB maintenence recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcse924

MIS
Feb 14, 2002
US
FACT 1: CA support (any kind) is GOD-awful.
FACT 2: The Arcserve "raima" database is crap.

Those things being KNOWN facts, with alot of prodding and time, Arcserve actually works. Now I have read numerous methods for maintaining the Arcserve DB. I have used the utilities included in Arcserve and still have problems. Re-initializing the database once every 2 months is not a viable "solution", though I have lived with it for awhile. Unfortunately for me, I can't babysit the damn thing all the time.

My question is has anyone come up with a somwewhat automated way of maintaining the Arcserve DB so that i doesn't crap out at 3GB or so? ALL feedback is welcome.

My specs are: Arcserve 2000 SP4, Windows 2000 SP3, Compaq DL380 P3 1 GHZ, 512MB RAM.

Carpe diem, procrastination is the thief of time...

Databasebaba,

How long does it takes to run dbckeck on your 17GB DB? I'm curious as my 6.1 GB can not be checked without missing a backup or two as it takes about 24 hours.

Cheers,

Matt

baba,

I have seen these. But how often should the script be run? It takes a LONG time for these processes to complete.

Even doing maintenence like this, isn't there some MANUAL cleaning up that must be done (*.ch* file removal, etc.)?

I am FLABBERGASTED and impressed that your 17GB database is still functional.

Carpe diem, procrastination is the thief of time...

Install ARCserve on a test box...

copy the database folder to the test box and then run the database maintenance on the test box. .. once the check & repair is done then you can move back the database to the original server....

DatabaseBaba...

I have monitor many network with ARCSERVE on them and I have very few database problems and some as large as 20 GB.

The key I have found everytime I have seen a corrupted database was the amount of free disk space on the system volume.

Arcserve needs 3 X the space of the database, so a 1 GB Database needs 3 GB to be maintained...

On systems where I had disk space to burn I have never had a corrupt database. I have a site with a 40 slot changer that backs up 22 servers, and routinely has a 20 GB database and it has never been corrupt in 3 years.

Phil Gordemer
Manager, Technical Support
CADD Value Corporation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back