Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Arcserve database engine will not start 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

prigro

IS-IT--Management
Jan 3, 2002
CA
After several years of running without any problems, Arcserve cannot start the database engine service. I receive the following message: "Timeout while starting database engine" Any suggestions to what may cause this and what will be the best way to correct this?

Corrupt database possibly.

If using AS6.61 or less you can run the database tests from the DB Mgr gui. If using AS2000 or later you'll have to resort to the command line utils.

If you have a big database it might take a LONG time to go through everything.

You could always try moving existing DB somewhere else and starting with an 'empty' database to check it. Unfortunately if you don't have copies of your initial DB install you'll have to reinstall AS on another machine and copy the database folder over to your existing machine.

Neill

HI,

This could be due to a corrupted Database..
replace the database with a blank copy..

Hope this helps
Speshalyst

So it Shall be Written!
So it Shall be Done!!

I'm running AS2000 (V7.0). I located a directory which is called 'database' in the Arcserve directory which has almost 800 files in it. Do I need to gas those files and copy a fresh database there?

Stop all arcserve services and rename database to say database.old just in case.

As I outlined above if you have a copy of an empty database folder handy create a new folder called database and put the files in there then start the AS services back up.

If you don't have the empty DB files handy you'll have to install AS on another system and copy over the database folder it creates. Can be done on a PC I think.

Neill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back