Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

arcserve backup won't start! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

naes

IS-IT--Management
Apr 24, 2001
US
I have a simple rotation scheme in place waiting in the job queue with" ready" but it will not execute. There are no messages either positive or negative relsting to this job. Am I missing something obvious? Thanks for the help

You might check to make sure the job isn't being submitted on "hold" and that there is a day/time for it to run. This may be the problem.

thanks for the response, I set this up yesterday to go off at 11pm M-F with the differential back-up, one media pool simple rotation schedule. Today I found out that it did not go off but continued to read "ready" in the queue box. I altered the execute time today(05/02/01 12pm) so I could watch it start but nothing happened but again continued to read "ready". I feel like it must be something simple I am overlooking. thanks again for any input.

Try modifying the existing job and save it under a new job name. Then add the new job and delete the old one.

It is worth stopping and starting the engines - this will sometimes cause the job to kick off within a couple of minutes.
I haven't come up with a reason why it does this, but I always try this first when a job has not run and there are no apparent problems.
Hope this helps.

I had similar problem..to fix it I had to delete the job and create a new one. a modify job will NOT fix this.

Sometimes Arcserve gets upset and won't start a job, as when you go back and try and modify a run-one job and resubmit it. The older versions of arcserver (before 2000) seemed to do this. As other have said, try deleting the job and create a new one. Stopping and starting the engines may do the trick to.

IMPORTANT MESSAGE: ARCSERVE IS TOTAL CRAP WITH TERMINAL SERVER ON WIN2K! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD ***DONT USE THE REMOTE ADMIN CONSOLE OF TERMINAL SERVICES FOR WIN2K***! YOU WILL REGRET IT. YOU GET THE SAME "MYSTERY ERRORS" AS WHEN YOU DON'T FOLLOW THEIR MYSTERIOUS AND MISBEGOTTEN LICENSING SCHEME. ITS NOT WORTH IT!!! JUST USE SOME OTHER REMOTE SOFTWARE...

This problem also can occur if the job queue is corrupt. I am trying to recreate mine now (without much success)
Dan

Has this job ever run before, And does the account you’re using have the rights to perform a back up? If the back up has never run before it has to do a full backup first. If your backing up from different spots over the network try to switch what's backed up first (when you submit the job the second box has a priority arranger). Are all the services started? When you built the job who were you logged in as? Does the account have access to these directories? Are the files your trying to backup open? When you installed the software were you logged in as Admin? Is SQL or Exchange on this server?

I know these questions are obvious, but they all have a bearing.

Depending on the version of Arcserve you are running may explain numerous issues. I have seen this error occur on Arcserve 6.61 and 2000 versions. The simple solution is to reschedule your job, then stop ALL engines and restart them. Once the tape inventory has been completed your job should kick off at the required time.

You may also want to consider that the RAIMA database has been corrupted at some point and to uninstall / reinstall Arcserve and recreate your jobs. This is a royal pain but did help us on some other boxes.

Good Luck!

Darryl Brambilla

Make sure you check the device manager! i did all of the above with no luck. arcserve somehow lost the media configration settings for me ..and of course the backup didnt give any feedback when it failed to start.

The backup will not start if your device group name has been deleted /changed. Modify your job and make sure that you select (click on) the group that you want to use. Make sure see the group you selected in the text box called Group above.

Also I recomend turning on the tape log (from server admin). Most likely you will see some sort of repeating message as the jobs tries to kick off and fails. Let me know what you see in the tape log. That will most likely point to what problem you are having.

PS
Dear peteksi - AS2000 does not support TS. I belive AS9 does...just fyi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back