Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ARCserve backup tapes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dudlee

Technical User
Jun 8, 2001
CA
Is it possible to see what is on a backup tape as in viewing it in Windows Explorer?

Darryl

Arcserve reads whats on the tape from it's database not directly from tape. I don't think they have a tape explorer. There might be some software available to view the tape. Backup software writes data with a Microsoft standard and if Arcserve doesn't let you browse the tape some freeware might.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

Arcserve has always provided powerful features to display the file systems in an explorer-type interface from many platforms. ie. Netware, UNIX, MAC, NT, etc.

To view the contents of a tape, the tape detail records must be resident in the Arcserve database. You can check this by opening the Restore manager and selecting "View by Session". This will give you a list of tape names (and serial #'s) in the database. Click the plus sign beside each tape to display sessions. Click the plus sign beside each session to display files and directories. If you do not see file and dir's, use the Arcserve Merge Utility to merge all the sessions form the tape you are interested in. Merge is found in Arcserve under Manager/Utilities/Merge.

You can also view tape contents by using the tree view, which gives you a representation of each server that was backup up and reflected in the Arcserve database. Use the version history button to select which version of the server backup you wish to view. By default the most recent backup is displayed.

Chris Horvath - True Data Storage Networks Inc. - New York City
Premier CA VAR, Arcserve Training Center, StorageTek Dealer
arcserve_pro@yahoo.com

Thanks Chris,

I didn't think ARCserve would be without a method of viewing the info but I couldn't find an easy way and took any answer that sounded reasonable. I tried the method outlined in your response and it works fine. Thanks again.
Darryl

Glad to help.
Thank you for the reply.
Chris Horvath - True Data Storage Networks Inc. - New York City
Premier CA VAR, Arcserve Training Center, StorageTek Dealer
arcserve_pro@yahoo.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back