Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

arcserve backup speed < 25 mbs 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
our backup speed is much less than 25MB / min ie 1 mb /min
we have correct network performance and config > 400 mb / min and know all about duplex and auto negotiation setting
The netware server hoggs CPU time once astart is run
any tips please

If your backing up netware, then try using "lock mode if deny write fails".

guru

"lock mode if deny write fails" has already been selected, we need to dig further.

Have applied SP Qo05996 and Qo06781. Backing up a suitable directory on the tape server now gets us to 25 MB/min. The tape spec says 60 MB/min. Is the Arcserve 7 software that bad???. We can do a disk-disk copy at around 500 MB/min across the network.

You dont mention what software or kit you're using but I had a problem solved for me that may assist you. I've installed NT Arcserve2000 and 4 NT Arcserve 2000 Clients connected via ethernet and found the fastest throughput we could get from the clients is 1MB/Min which is completely unusable. It seems one of the defaults on install for 2000 clients sets the throughput incorrectly.

The key was
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\COMPUTERASSOCIATES\ARCSERVEIT\CLIENTAGENT\PARAMETERS\SetWSSendBuff <Change from 1 to 4096>

Our throughput went from 1MB/Min to 350MB/Min.

If your using Netware, look for something similar in the configs. Good luck!

Having spent another couple of days searching and tweaking!!

The following proceedure will help to identify problems and improve performance.

1. Run a short backup (50-100 MB)Note the MB/min.
2. Repeat but enter the following on the server console command line - &quot;TAPESVR DISABLE WRITES&quot; as soon as the backup has started. (use RCONSOLE ). Note the MB/min.

If 2 > than 1 then the SCSI system need to be looked at.
If 2 = 1 then the Arcserve software performance may need to be improved by tuning.

eg for our system:-
1. 25 MB/min
2. 66.6 MB/min

Arcserve can provide the data but not getting to the tape quick enough.

I did also look at tuning briefly

add &quot;BUFFER=20&quot;
to the TAPESVR.CFG file AFTER the line following NLM1

Example

[NLM]
NLM1 = STANDARD GROUP-ARCSERVE BOARD-BOARD0 SCSIID-1
BUFFER=20

This gave 133.2 MB/min for test 2 - not an insignificant improvement. Increasing further reduces the speed. See TID 10023910 for more info.

Hope this helps some of you Arcserve users out there!!

Our system:- Novell 5.0 SP6a
WinNT4 using Novell 4.8 client

Now why doesn't my SCSI system go too well???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back