Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ARCserve and Standby and/or hibernate mode in XP systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

ankle

IS-IT--Management
Mar 5, 2002
US
Years ago when we switched to Win XP and had systems go into standby or hibernate, ARCserve could not see the systems on the network as the network connection was "dropped". Our older Win 2000 systems worked OK. So to get around this, I just did not allow systems to go into standby and just set a blank locked (password-protected) screensaver. Now, we are being told to save energy and put our systems into standby and hibernate.

Years ago, I tried "waking up" on the NICs, but that did not help. Bear in mind that I was probably using V9(or older) of ARCserve at the time. We are now running r12.5.

Does anyone know if this is still an issue? I could always test out a few systems, but I thought I would ask first to save some time.

Thanks,

Backup server must contact the Client Agent to run the backup.
Client Agent is a Windows app.
So if the system is in sleep mode Windows is not actively running and so Client Agent will not be able to respond.

Perhaps there is some kind of Pre command or script you could run to do the wake up, or just run the backups earlier in the day.

I will see if I can get a pre-command script to run, which I had not thought of. I was working on a batch program that would run daily and shutdown the computers at a certain time. If the pre-command script does not work, then I may just go back to the shutdown and run the backups earlier and shutdown after I know the backup is done.

Thanks, I just needed to confirm what I thought.

Just thought of it that if you do go with the Pre command, with some installs of Windows it will only work if the user account used has the Interact With Desktop (or something like that) attribute.

I have not tried the pre command, because what I read is that the pre/post commands runs on the server, not the client, which is what I need. Therefore, I have created 2 scheduled tasks. One runs before the backup job starts to wakeup the computer and the other runs later to shut it down. It seems to be working OK on the 2 systems I have been testing. I just have to get jobs on all the computers, but I think I can do this with a batch file.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back