Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Arcserve and Linux (Red-Hat 8.0)

Status
Not open for further replies.

skjper

Programmer
Jul 8, 2003
NO
I have a problem backing up a shared drive on Red-Hat 8.0. from a WIndows 2000 station. I'm getting "LOGON FAILURE" when the job run. I know that the share is working, because when I run the Windows 2000 Backup program, it works.

I have a user on the Linux machine: "mysql" with password "mysql". How do you write this as a UNIX Username in the security box in Arcserve? The linux machine is called "Froya2"

Are you backing it up as a NFS mount? Is the Linux agent installed?

RBL

1. I've set it up as shared drives with SAMBA, and are able to access it without any problems in, for instance, explorer. I've also successfully managed to backup the volumes with Microsoft Windows Backup (the lite version of VERITAS Backup Exec)

2. The Linux agent is running, but Arcserve does not seem to detect it. The manual says you should add it to the client database (from the database manager) but I was not able to find out how.

I know from my earlier experiences with Arcserve that the authentication process can be quite tricky. You have to write the username in a certain format for Arcserve to use. I have tried various formats like "FROYA2/mysql", "\\FROYA2\\mysql", only "mysql" etc. but none seems to work.

Arcserve backup 9.01 will support RH 8.0 and 9.0
Version 9.0 will only support up to 7.3. It can be installed with the use of symlinks and will work but is not supported from CA
Arcserve 2000 supports neither 8.0 or 9.0

RBL!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back