Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Arcserve 9 install problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tencel

IS-IT--Management
Aug 29, 2002
GB
I am attempting to upgrade an Arcserve 7 to Arcserve 9 on an NT (SP6a) server. The install asks the usual questions then attempts to install the license software. It never gets past this step. I am able to kill the process from the task manager and it will then continue the installation, but without the license program. This causes the Job engine to refuse to run because of a license violation. I attempted to manually install the license program from CD (per CA web site) and it does the same thing: stays at 0% and never completes. I have attempted this on 3 separate NT4 servers with the same results. I have tried uninstalling the old version first with no success. Any suggestions?

Sometimes the MSI installer doesn't work well running off the cd. You could try copying the licensing installer to disk and running it there. I've had to do this in the past with ARCserve 7.0. If anything, it is worth a shot.

I did get in touch with CA Tech support, and the tech e-mailed me a new license program which worked on my test server. I installed it on my production server and now I have a new problem. During the last attempt on the production server, we tried running the license program directly from the CD (which it allowed us to do). We entered in the license codes, but they did not take. I have since uninstalled and reinstalled Arcserve 9 and applied the new license software. Now, the Register code under Help -> about is no longer ghosted but when I try to enter the license codes, it tells me the codes have already been entered and will not accept them! How do I remove the old codes that were entered from the running the license program from CD so I can enter them from the Arcserve program? Is there a file to delete or a registry entry? I was on hold with tech support for 1.5 hours before I was cut off :-(

All Computer Associate product licenses are stored in a file called CA.OLF

It is a straight text file and can be loaded in Notepad.

To kill the licenses, delete CA.OLF, stop the arcserve services and restart them. Then relicense them

After finally talking to someone at CA who knew what they were talking about (and the first one I talked to that spoke engish as a primary language), we got it working. The license code was in the registry at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> Software -> ComputerAssociates -> License -> Products. I just deleted all entries under this key and it worked fine.

I'm encountering EXACTLY the same problem as you did in the first instance. However, my luck with CA Tech support is somewhat less than yours, and they haven't supplied me an answer, 3 business days later.

What I've found is that AS9 installs correctly on an old test server which is running NT4 and Exchange 5.5, with an old version of IE (it was possibly 4). AS9 upgraded both IE and the MS installer, rebooted and carried on the installation just fine.

The production system runs IE 6, sp1, and this is the system which is displaying this same problem.

Tencel, what level of IE was your system running prior to your attempt to install AS9 ?

Cheers,

Chris.

It was running IE6 when I did the install. Since I knew the server would be rebooted anyway, I also added the latest security patches to the system before installing AS9. The server was previously running ArcServe 2000, which itself was upgraded from ArcServeIT 6.61.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back