Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Arcserve 9 Exchange Agent Problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarkP

Technical User
Dec 17, 2002
GB
Recently installed AS9 Exchange 2000 Agent.
If I go to Exchange Agent Configuration, and enter an
account to be used for Brick Level backups it keeps failing
saying 'Failed to authenticate'
This happens even if I enter the Domain Admin account details.
Can anyone assist?

The account entered for your agent when installed needs to given permissions (local) on the server. (Admninistrative Tools...Local Security Policy...User Rights Assignments)(1) Act as Part of the Operating System (2) Log on as a service(3) Log on Locally also should be added to the local group of Backup Operators (via Control Panel..Administrative Tools..Computer Management)

Then once this is done you need to logon to the server locally using this account and configure the agent.

The exchange agent takes a lot of setup to make sure it works correctly. I would suggest you reread the install instructions, but here's a short summary.

Outlook 97, 98, or Exchange Client needs to be installed on the Arcserve box if you want Bricks done. Outlook 2000 is not support - to my understanding. Make sure the exchange agent has a mailbox on the server. Send some email to the mailbox to initialize it.

Make sure the Agent account has Service Account Admin perms to the Exchange Org, Site, and Container where your exchange server resides.

Make sure the Agent account has logon on locally and run as a service perms on the Winblows box your running Exchange on.

I had to reread the directions a few times, not that the instructions were decent, but after some tinkering you eventually get it. Now, it's the restore part that really takes some tinkering with, but I'll leave that alone.

Using the setup through ArcServe and checking the box for arcserve to set up the user account after naming it and providing the password. After it does that successfully, send the account you are using to authenticate an email from anyone. Log on with the account you are using for authentication (dbagent if you follow the instructions from arcserve and the one you sent an email to). Open Outlook and set it up so the user can get email - you should get the email that you sent to the user. Minimize Outlook and open up the Exchange Agent Configuration and it should work. This is what I did after a week of pulling hair out trying to figure out why I kept getting errors. This was running V9, Exchange 2000, and Win2k.

The solution of Mass2612 solved the problem for me (thanks a lot)
You may not forget to restart the BrightStor Backup Agent RPC Server service + to logoff/logon after making changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back