Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Arcserve 9 crashes with Windows 2003 service pack 2 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hjort16

IS-IT--Management
Jan 6, 2004
DK
I use Arcserve 9.0 build 2202 (which means installing SP2 and all updates I can lay my hand on) on a Windows 2003 with SP1 and all updates installed.

After installing Win2003 SP2 Arcserve could only back up about 400 k of files, after which the backup job crashed with no message in the log.

Upon uninstalling Win2003 SP2 (and doing a repair installation of everything before so the SP1 installation was fully intact) I had no more problems. Wonderful to see just "Finished" in the job queue listing - instead of dreadful read signs accompagning "Crashed".

Well, BAB9 is not supported by CA on w2k3 SP2. BAB9 is quite old now, so I don't think they'll publish a fix for running it on 2k3 SP2. However, BAB11.5 SP3 on w2k3 SP2 is supported.

Regards.

Hi

I have the same problem but with version 11 and 11.1

HI

For version 11 and 11.1 you can find the the log under the name tskeptXX.log it does point to the file suggested in the support article (asrbckup.dll) We will try this fix and I will post the results

Many Thanks

Michael

One of my clients had the same issue. Removing SP2 from the arcserver 9 server is the only thing that seems to work. Not a great workaround imo, but they don't "want" to upgrade, or better yet migrate to Backup Exec, so... I wonder what the real cause is and if it would be such a big deal for CA to push out a fix. This is only stop-gap, no updates going forward, not good...

Windows 2003 sp2 on 11.0 did not work for me.

Symptom: Job crashes immediately after connecting to tape. Job Status log shows that the job went from active to hold. Found the tskeptXX.log and discovered the offending file was asrbckup.dll. After trying to rename/replace/re-register/etc the dll in every way imaginable it became obvious that it just wasn't going to work.

Solution: Roll back SP2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back