Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Arcserve 9 and Oracle 9i Backup Problem E8601

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoctorDos

MIS
May 8, 2003
US
When trying to backup an Oracle instance using the Oracle client I receive the following error:
E8601
Failed to connect agent. (EC=The extended attributes did not fit in the buffer. )

This server has 2 Oracle instances on it and one backs up without a problem. The other generates this error message. Has any one else seen this error before? I'm running Arcserve 9 and trying to back up an Oracle 9i instance. Thanks for the help.

Looks to me like BS is giving you an irrelevant error. I did a search and found "The extended attributes did not fit in the buffer" at means:

//
// MessageId: ERROR_EAS_DIDNT_FIT
//
// MessageText:
//
// The extended attributes did not fit in the buffer.
//
#define ERROR_EAS_DIDNT_FIT 275L

Execute "net helpmsg 275" and you get the same thing.

Have you checked to make sure that archive logging is turned on, set correctly in the parameter file and set to automatic (LOG_ARCHIVE_START=true)?? Instructions on how to turn this on are in the Oracle agent guide.

Can you post the error from the dbaora7.log file? It may be of use.

Hi
Have you tried to configure the agent by following Oracle manual on the CD since there are many things need to be done.

regards,
mohamdr

Thanks for the idea ACiDelic. For some reason that instance of Oracle escaped the Archive Logging setting while the other instance had it enabled. Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back