Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Arcserve 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtrice

MIS
Dec 12, 2001
US
I have a question about Arcserve 7.0 for Netware.

I am running Novell 5.1 Service Pack 3 and Arcserve 7.0 with the latest cumulative patch.

Everything was running pretty good while I was running Novell 5.1 SP2. After I installed SP3, I get an error when Arcserve tries to back up the [Root]. In the Activity Log I see a E0014 Backup incomplete message. In the the Summary section just below I find The [ROOT] section that is labeled as FAILED, with a reason: Login Failed.

It logged in before with no problems. I don't get any errors when running DSREPAIR. The account has full rights to the [Root].

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Try resubmitting the job typing in the authentication details (username and password) again. -----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

And make sure you use the fully distinguished nomenclature... o=....cn=.... etc.

guru - brightstor@hotmail.com

Thanks for the response. I'll let you know what happens once the backup runs tonight.

jtrice

I tried re-entering the securtiy details with the fully nomenclature with no luck. Still getting a login error when it tries to backup the [root] of the tree. Any other ideas?

Thanks

Jtrice

On that note, you could make your backup user security-equal to admin and try the backup again to see if it is a rights issue? -----------------------------------------------------

I have double checked the rights of the Arcserve Account I am using and the account has Supervisor Rights to the [Root].

Any other ideas out there?

Thanks

Try using testnlm.nlm to see if you can log into the nds with this account. It is in the utilities directory on the arcserve cd. Also, make sure your NDS is in READ/WRITE replica mode.

guru

Guru,

Thanks for the help.

I do not have a utilities directory on my CD nor can I find the Testnlm.nlm file by searching the CD. Is it possible they did not include this file on the Arcserve 7 for Netware CD?

As for the NDS configuration, I have 1 Master and 2 Read/Write replicas. The Master replica is storede on the server that I am having problems with. However, it did work with this configuration up until about 3 weeks ago.

JTrice

Hmmmm, quick question, has anything changed lately on the system which may have stopped it working? A password change in wihch you haven't updated the jobs password configuration?

also, test nlm is on the arcserve install on your server. hehe not the cd, its under the utilities directory.

Check is you have tsands and tsa500 loaded as well! These nlms are needed. Perhaps there is something that is not preloaded into your startup that fails to load?

guru

TSANDS.NLM gets updated as part of SP3 if memory serves. You could always regress to the older version providing you backed up the old files as part of the installation of SP3.

Mind you, checking the Novell website, there appears to be loads of versions. Try the following URL and check your version:

I relocated my old tsands.nlm from my SP3 backup and started a backup. The server experienced a critical error. I rebooted the server and ran another backup after hours that never completed. I ended up having to reboot the server again and replace the older tsands.nlm with the one that was replaced during the SP3 update.

SO the question is, are there any specific files that tsands.nlm interacts with that also might need the older version, or a updated version from Novell?

Thanks for all the help Lad and Guru.

JTrice

OK after several small emergencies, I was able to get back to this problem. I was able to login successfully to NDS with the testnlm.nlm procedure.

I have followed the instructions on Novell TID's 10061824, 10023245, and 10021191 to no avail. I am still unable to backup the [root] of my NDS tree.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks,

JTrice

Is SMDR.NLM definately being loaded (and before TSA500 and TSANDS)?

Also, when you are configuring your backup job using the Arcserve 7 Manager, do you click the dropdown called "Current Arcserve Server" and select your Tree name from there? -----------------------------------------------------

Is SMDR.NLM definately being loaded (and before TSA500 and TSANDS)?

SMDR.NLM is definately being loaded, I am not sure in what order it is being loaded in. I will have to go back and figure that one out.

Also, when you are configuring your backup job using the Arcserve 7 Manager, do you click the dropdown called "Current Arcserve Server" and select your Tree name from there?

When I am selecting the tree to back up, I am clicking ong the tree name under the "Current Arcserve Server." Is there a better way to select the tree?

Thanks,

JTrice

Looking in the INSTNDS.INI file located in the SYS\ARCSERVE directory I have listed the Version=500.

Then looking in the PFC.INI file located in the Arcserve Directory, under the section labeled [modules500], I have SMDR.NLM listed before TSANDS.NLM and TSA500.NLM.

Is this the load order for NLM's from Arcserve? In addition, if these NLM's are already loaded, via server during bootup, will it effect launching Arcserve and/or its operation?

Thanks,

JTrice

Have you tried updating the TSA,the lastest TSA patch is tsa5up8.exe

TSANDS.NLM

1. A memory leak when backing up large nds databases is fixed
2. Tsands would return the error fffdfec7, when backing up nds if the tree has the same
name as a container.
3. Fixes a problem with error fffdfffc when attaching to the tsands.nlm. The
newer tsands.nlms check for a DNS rooted treename such as t=novell.com instead
of just t=novell. If it doesn't find one the above error can occur.
FFFDFFFC NWSMTS_CANT_ALLOC_DIR_HANDLE: Cannot allocate a directory handle. This
does not refer to a file system directory handle. It refers to info from NDS.
4. Fixes a problem where the backup cannot browse to lower portions of the nds tree
except the root object.

Thanks 8arcserve,

That seems to have done it. After installing the tsa5up8.exe update, Arcserve is now backing up the root.

Thanks to everyone for the help.

JTrice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back