Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

arcserve 7 NWAgent setup in backup job

Status
Not open for further replies.

LolaRed

MIS
Mar 26, 2001
US
When I indicate that I'm using an NWagent on another server, my backup job ends up showing that server twice in the final screen after clicking the Run button.
My backup is Incomplete because the Root of the server with the Nwagent fails on the backup (which I didn't select anyway - I only wanted the volumes).

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong, or is this another "feature"?

Have you downloaded the patch for Arcserve7? I ran into similar problem and this corrected it.

I'm not sure which patch you are referring to. There are 18 small fixes for Arcserve 7 Enterprise. I've applied them all (unless superceded).

LolaRed

Out of interest , what patches etc. have you applied. There is a small SMDR/SMS fix from Novell that appears to predate SP2 but some files are dated later. I haven't any info on this yet.

What error message do you get ??. Any NW error messages that report fail to close job down ??.

Regards

Mark@amadis.freeserve.co.uk

Hi Mark. Thanks for responding.

I'm currently running Novell 4.11 SP8a on all servers. I've applied all of the ArcServe 7 patches (including one that was just posted on Friday to fix Modify Jobs issue - it doesn't fully).

Even after this last AS patch, the problem is still there. I've sent screen prints to CA tech support and "poked" them twice with reminder e-mails in the past few weeks. No answer.

I get no NW error messages. Only "failed" on the AS job detail report for that server's ROOT.

I know this: It only occurs on the server using the NWAgent ver 7. A CA tech said my old one (ver6.6) would never give me accurate backups once I upgraded to ArcServe 7 (we were using 6.1). This server is my GroupWise mail server. I use the agent to GSTOP & GSTART GroupWise with a Pre/Post (can't do that on this server from the server running ArcServe). I'm not sold on Open files backup, so I stop the Groupwise agents to get a full backup & then restart them again when it's finished.

My backups are good. I just find the final message of "Backup Job Incomplete" to be irritating.

I have one other annoying thing that's happening that I think may be related. When the compare part of the job is happening on the server with the NW Agent, I get a good eight pages of "Buffer Begin at Chunk ####" lines in the job detail report for each volume (#### number incremented with each line). It wastes a good amount of paper since I'm required by my boss to print the job detail each morning (another feature lost by the upgrade - no way to have the job print the detail job). Two different forums point to BTrieve (suggests upgrading to ver 6.15f - I'm using ver 7) and to hardware (suggests lowering rshots/wshots and buffers in tapecfg.ini file - no help).

If any of this sounds familiar, please share. I'll try anything that appears remotely reasonable.

Thanks again,
Lola

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back