Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Arcserve 7 for Netware

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Ok...I'm running Arcserve 7 Enterprise on Netware 5 SP 5 with NDS 7.47
We've applied all the patches for Arcserve. I can login to Arcserve at the server with no problems but when trying to login using the manager from desktop machine I get the following message:

"Server ServerName failed to authenticate the user .CN=user.OU=ou.O=organization (EC=-1). Please verify that the user name and password is correct"

I can ping the server form the desktop fine and can also ping the desktop from the server with no problems. Manager is running on a Win2k pro machine. Any help is greatly appreciated as this is becoming a huge headache. Also, we were previously running ArcserveIT 6 (single server)with no problems at all.

This is a bit of a stupid response but try authenticating to the server before loading Arcserve Manager - maybe map a drive to it or something. Then load up Arcserve Manager and see what happens .... -----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

EXACTLY what name are you using to log in to the Server.
You must use the full NDS name, not just Admin. Glenn A
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are tasty and crunchy and good with ketchup."

I'm mapped to several drives on the server and I'm using my user name in full nds context (.cn=user.ou=organizational unit.o=organization). As best we can tell the problem is with the Arcserve authentication as the other app we run on the server has no problems with authenticating to it.

Your username is not restricted to how many concurrent connections you are allowed is it? If it is, either increase it or remove the connection restriction and try it again. -----------------------------------------------------

I have unlimited concurrent connections on my netware username.

Hi there

Try with following syntax tries:
.username.organization
or
CN=username.O=organization

also edit your file \WINNT\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC\hosts
and add
NetWareServerName 10.3.4.227 (IP Address of your NetWare Server)

kindest regards, dave

Tried both contexts and I already have an entry in the hosts file for the server. Still can't get authenticated by Arcserve.

Have you tried:

.USERNAME.ORGANIZATIONALUNIT.ORGANIZATION

instead of

.CN=USERNAME.OU=ORGANIZATIONALUNIT.O=ORGANIZATION

??? -----------------------------------------------------

Yep. Even tried adding the tree to the end but it refuses to authenticate.

Dozy question time now:

a) Do you have IP installed on your desktop?
b) Is the Novell Client configured to use it?
c) Can you ping the server from the desktop?
d) If you have SLP configured, is the Novell Client configured to look at the scope?

The reason I ask is because the release notes for Arcserve 7 ( state that IP only support has been implemented and if you are using IPX/SPX to communicate on the workstation, you have to bodge a registry entry. Check it out. -----------------------------------------------------

We are using IP to communicate with the server and I can ping the server from the desktop fine as well as ping the desktop from the server with no problems.

Hello,

Have you ever find a sloution to your problem because i have exact the same end tried the same things but no resolution.

Tia

Leon Urbanus
l.urbanus@asvz.nl

Try this out....

1. While doing the NetWare backup, set "Use lock mode if deny write fails" under retry option.
( ARCserve Manager ->backup -> Options -> Retry ->File Sharing )

2 . Also try to create a file group and add those files into that group.
(OFA Console -> Configuration ->File/Group)

Please feel free to contact us for any clarification.

Cheers,
Rogerd1

Have you tried using all caps? Sounds dumb, I know but I found Arcserve 2000 won't connect to some netware servers unless you use all caps for the .CN=xxxx.OU=DALLAS, etc... But then again, this is Arcserve....

We finally got the problem solved with help from Computer Associates. The Netware Netwrok Admin wound up having to install a bunch of beta Netware patches (which I'm sure he hated) but it eventually solved the problem. Now I'm getting tape write errors and can't get logged in to my Win2k backup agents. Ugh!!

I had the same problem, until I told the Agent to authenticate via IPX instead of IP. Then it all worked. Glenn
"The answer is still 42"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back