Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ARCserve 7.0 & NetWare 5.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

novella

MIS
Jun 11, 2001
US
anyone having problems loading ARCserve 7.0 on a NW 5.x box? What about a Dell server?

WE HAVE ALL DELL POWEREDGE SERVERS AND YES LOTS OF PROBLEMS WITH ARCSERVE 7. CONSTANT ABENDS OR TAPE WRITE ERRORS. NOT A PROBLEM WITH 6.6. BUT ON A RELOAD OF 6.6 ON ONE OF THE SERVERS WE STILL HAVE PROBLEMS. WE UPDATED THE PERC2 DRIVERS ON THAT ONE SERVER AND HAD NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS WITH ARCSERVE SINCE.

Hi,

I had no problem "installing" Arcserve 7.0 (Single Server) on one of our Netware 5 servers. It is a Compaq ML 370 with 1GB RAM.

Running it is a different story. The problems we have may be related to Groupwise, but if you know of any known issues with Arcserve 7 and Netware 5 I would appreciate hearing about them.

You probably know this now, but in order for Arcserve to backup your 5.1 server, it cannot be on an NSS volume. It has to be on a regular compressed volume. Also, you must have the GW Backup Agent for Arcserve loaded and choose Use Lock Mode of Deny None fails. These are a must.

We have ASNW 7 and 5.1 with latest SP:s.
(Check date)
HW = 12 Compaq proliant with NW5.0 and 5.1
Tapedrives CPQ MSL5026 SDLT library, 1 DLT7000 and 1 15/30Gb DLT
Groupwise 6.0 with agent
Some NT and NW client agents.
Nothing but lots of problems.
Unable to restore tapes after merge if tapes are written with ASNW6.6
Only session restore works.
NEW GUI cannot see always servers.
And is VERY SLOW, (we have new DL360R 1GHz,640MB,RAID1 with 1 Gbps)
If I make job thru the server console, GUI doesnt know anything about it ??
Session based restore says that limit is 10000 files ?
We have about 200000 files in one server!
Really enterprice version...
We have made several contact with CA > No result

IS THERE MAJOR "SP1" FOR ASNW7 COMING ????

If not, arcserve is history...

I have not heard of any SPs for Arcserve 7. But I have tried getting all my servers to NDS 8 (8.77a). Have you tried getting new TSA's I know that the most recent TSA's are not in the service packs. They are in tsa5up7.exe.

I have seen the problem with the GUI not seeing the backup job. I got around it by logging into the manager with the same user as the job that was submitted. Then I saw it.

I am experiencing other problems. I am getting "Failed to Open data set, Server Specific Info fffdfff9" when Arcerve goes to back up the attributes of the server. Any ideas?

Thanks, Susan

Guys.

Hope you have tried the current patches available at
We use Arcserve 7 on NW5.1 SP2 and apart from the odd problem, everything is working ok. You also need to ensure that:

a) Your server is running the latest version of the RAID/Disk/SCSI drivers as supplied by either Novell or the manufacturer
b) You are running the latest firmware on your tape device/changer and your SCSI card
c)As mentioned, you are running the latest TSA500.NLM and (Susan, this is for your problem, ensure it is loaded) the latest TSANDS.NLM as detailed by Susan

Good luck -----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

Hey Lad,
What version of DS are you running 8 or 7? I am also running NW51sp3. What you tried upgrading yet?

I still have the same problem. I have done some stuff that CA has asked me to try with no luck. Some times they just have no idea.

Susan

I am also having many frustrating problems with the arcserve 7 netware agent, first on netware 4.1 then on netware 5.1
(groupwise is running on this netware server)
i have sp3 on the netware 5.1 server.

i have to constantly unload and then reload the agent to get arcserve 2000 to speak to it.
then it skips files that it thinks are open, but are not.

i DO NOT trust the "lock mode" option with groupwise message databases (or any large files, for that matter). If arcserve is locking a file, i can only imagine what corruption it may cause with groupwise message databases that are in 24/7 use....

this problem was not happening with the 2.1 version of the arcserve netware agent.
I think there are serious problems with version 7 netware agent.

Susan - We are running NDS 8 with eDirectory (DS version 85.12a) with NW5.1 SP3. Interestingly, the TIDs on the CA website for your problem all relate to Novell issuing a new TSANDS.NLM??

JPP - we stopped using the NetWare Agent a long time ago due to the same problems you are experiencing. Try configuring a job without the agent (selecting the server from NetWare Services etc..). Providing you have patch LO91560 (from installed, this should work a treat.

"It's true, its damn true!"

Well.. I got some unofficial information from CA that
allmost all my problems are known bugs and a bigger update to ASNW7 is coming in November. New version 8(BrighStor) comes before the end off the year...?

I'm glad I haven't upgraded yet. Still using ASNW66

HI,
We have Arcserve 7 on NetWare 5.1 - everything backs up OK. But when I go to do a restore the NDS does not list objects. It would appear that I can only restore the whole tree from the Root down. When I click on the + by the tree name it says no objects to display. >

I can backup the NDS tree with successfully. I can expand in the manager :
Database / job Records / Job X <backup> / Session No. X
I can get all details on the session. I have all object nds. It’s OK.
The problem is I can not restore an object of NDS (either by tree or session). I am not able
to expand the directory structure when selecting + Novell Directory Services and
+ (name of my tree). Message “ there are no items to display in this view”.

>NW 5.1 with SP3

Help please
Thank you

Danielle Hamelin
Technicienne

email:hamelind@csrdn.qc.ca

Lad - We are running DS 8.77a with tsands 86.00. At a different site I just installed NWSB 5.1 sp3 on a new server that was migrated from NWSB 5.0 SP6a with Arcserve 6.6 sp4 and getting the same errors. This is getting frustrating.

Susan

Susan

When you say you get the error when it is backing up the attributes of the server, can you expand on that please? What do you mean by attributes?

By the way, your backup account - what rights have you given it? Try full admin rights for one backup job (if you haven't got this set already) and see if it makes a difference. -----------------------------------------------------
&quot;It's true, its damn true!&quot;

This is for jpp. To backup my GroupWise server, I put the ArcServe NwAgent on the GroupWise server and use Pre/Post options to Gstop GroupWise agents before backup (middle of the night) and then Gstart GroupWise agents when backup is complete on that server (usually only about 15 minutes). All files are closed during backup and I don't have to worry about the &quot;lock mode&quot; option causing GroupWise corruption. It works for me.

And for hamelind, I'm also unhappy with ArcServe 7. I've found that I'm working fairly well (getting dependable backups with some crappy messages) by not patching the latest 3 dinky little patches provided by CA. Still can't modify a job - must create a new one (& delete the old one) each time I need to make a change, but I can drill down into my volumes/folders to selectively restore any file. That's important to me....

I gave up on their tech support long ago. They just completely bailed on me.

This is for JPP also...
We had the same problem. After speaking with CAI's tech support and not getting anywhere, we decided to run the NWAgent on our GroupWise server in debug mode to see where the problem was.

In our troubleshooting, we found that running the agent in debug mode completely solved our problem. You do have to check the log file and make sure it does not get too big or turn logging off in the configuration screen on the agent.

To load the agent in debug mode, edit the asconfig.ini file in the sys\nwagent directory and find this line:
CSNLM2=SYS:\NWAGENT\NLM\NWAGENT ARP
Add -d to the end and you should be set...

I notified CAI of our findings and they finally confirmed it was a problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back