Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ArcServe 6.61

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warped

IS-IT--Management
Apr 6, 2000
CA
Hi

I have just upgraded my Tape drive which was a HP dat 40 gig drive to a HP VS80 DLT drive by simply swapping it in.
It is in a Compaq ML350 Server

the problem I am having is , the DLT drive is detected just fine with the scsi on POST. When Arcserve load s it finds it but right after it finds it here is what the log file says:
Jul 11 14:55:23 Loading TAPESVR.NLM, Computer Associates release...
Jul 11 14:55:24 Scanning Board 0, º╕/MF1Compaq Ult, Board Name = BOARD0
Jul 11 14:55:24 SCSIID 00: < No Device Present >
Jul 11 14:55:24 SCSIID 01: < No Device Present >
Jul 11 14:55:24 SCSIID 02: < No Device Present >
Jul 11 14:55:24 SCSIID 03: < No Device Present >
Jul 11 14:55:24 SCSIID 04: < No Device Present >
Jul 11 14:55:24 SCSIID 05: BNCHMARK DLT1 5032 (Tape Drive)
Jul 11 14:55:24 Device on Board:0 SCSIID:5 LUN:0 BNCHMARKDLT1 is a CD Emulating tape device
Jul 11 14:55:24 Tapelist: BNCHMARK DLT1
Jul 11 14:55:29 E7027 Failed to locate any tape drives on Board [BOARD0]
Jul 11 14:55:29 E7028 Group [ARCSERVE] failed to initialize properly and will not be created.

it then changes it to say it is dectecting it as a CD emulatiing tape drive.

anyone have any ideas why it does that. when it does that , it fails to initialize .

I have another system and it works fine.

I have all the servic paks possible applied to Arcserve for that version.

any Ideas would be helpful.

Vaughn

Netware CNE 5.x

Hi

I think HP VS80 DLT is not certified to work with Arcserve 6.61.
Go to Support.cai.com and check if this tape drive HP VS80 DLT is certified for Arcserve 6.61 or not.

regards,
mohamdr

Hi

thanks for your input, the puzzling thing about his is that I have a similar server running with the same tape drive and with arcserve 6.61 with no service paks and it has been working just fine for over a year now.

I did check prior to ordering the tape drives and they are supported.

Vaughn

Netware CNE 5.x

HP VS80 DLT is a CD Emulating tape device. This is related to HP's OBDR (One Button Disaster Recovery) and simply means that if you hold in the Power button upon power up it will become a bootable device.

In the asconfig.ini file, on the load line for CANWPABD add the CLEAR command as shown below:
CSNLM6=SYS:\ARCSERVE.6\NLM\CANWPABD CLEAR
Adapter0=Board0,Novell NetWare ASPI SCSI Manager
NWPA Driver Interface Note: the CLEAR command must be in UPPER CASE, This command will clear all information from the tapesvr.cfg file in the [NWPA] Section, Resetting the board name back to BOARD0

Hi
thanks for the tip....I will give it a try this week and see how it goes.

Sincerely

Vaughn Bender

Netware CNE 5.x

Hi

Well, thanks xenotec for your help. Unfortuantely that didn't work but I took your thoughts and did some NLM comparing with the server that works fine with that tape drive .... I found out that it had an OLDER version of the aspi cdm nlm, so I used that older version NLM and bingo...it found the tape drive and it works great! the version NWASPI.nlm that works is version 2.0 , 1998 NLM.

Vaughn

Netware CNE 5.x

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back