Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Arcserve 6.61 Database will not start

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drolaw

MIS
Jun 26, 2001
Last night I upgraded a Compaq Proliant 3000 server to Windows 2000. When I went in to make sure that Arcserve was running correctly I found the follow error message:

Failed to start Database Engine. (1053).

I have AcrserveIT Workgroup Edition Version 6.61 (Build 834).

CA will only tell me that I should upgrade to Arcserve 2000, which is not an option (Read lack of $$$).

Any suggestions would be appreciated, highly :).

Hi Drolaw,

I have seen this problem before as we have experienced a similar problem. Are you using a dedicated arcserve account or just the system account?

Try using a dedicated Arcserve account and specify this under each NT Service for Arcserve (Tape / Job / Database engines). Enter the username / password and stop / restart the engines.

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks,

Darryl Brambilla
EDS Canada
Darryl.Brambilla@eds.com

Thanks for reponding.

I changed the following services to log on as our Backup administrator:

ARCserveIT Database Engine;
ARCserveIT Discovery Service;
ARCserveIT Job Engine;
ARCserveIT Message Engine;
ARCserveIT Tape Engine;

When I went to stop and then start the Database engine services again I got the following message:

Could not start the ARCserveIT Database Engine service on SANANTONIO.

Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

Hi Drolaw,

The only other thing I can think of right now then is to re-apply SP2A and see if this corrects the problem. When did you first start experiencing the problems? The other possibility is that you may have a corrupt database and may need to reinstall Arcserve itself.

If you do need to reinstall Arcserve, then make sure you backup your .asx files (backup jobs) as you will want to import them back into Arcserve again once reinstalled. Also take note of any filters you have setup on an individual server basis as these settings will not be retained. Global filters however will be.

Let me know how the SP2A goes and your plan from there.

Thanks,

Darryl Brambilla
EDS Canada
Darryl.Brambilla@eds.com

I kept trying the accounts and found that one of our regioanl IT managers account was able to get the database engine started. None of the other accounts worked. Which is weird since he has no additional permissions then any of the other techs.

I still want to upgrade the build and see how that goes. I'll see if I can get it down soon. I'll let you know.

Thanks again.

Hey Drolaw,

Double check the NT User Rights on the account that worked versus your backup admin account. I suspect that you will find a problem there. There is a good possibility you are missing a policy such as "log on locally" or "logon as a service". This is a common problem I have seen in the past where admin accounts have been created but did not have the correct user rights granted. Hopefully this will also shed some light on the subject. In the mean time - glad I could be of help and you backups can resume :)

Thanks!

Darryl Brambilla
EDS Canada
Darryl.Brambilla@eds.com

Hi all,

Came here searching for exactly the problem that the original post described, the error and situation were exactly the same. Arcserve 6.61 on Win2k Server. Sure enough, creating a separate user and giving that user admin rights and log on as a service rights to the server fixed my problem.

Made my night after a long day.

Thank you,
Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back