Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Arcserve 6.6 & Arcserve 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

datadan

IS-IT--Management
Jul 22, 2002
US
I have a small amount of data to backup so I prefer to do a full nightly backup.

My problem.
I have tapes formatted for a 2 week backup cycle:
MONDAY_1,TUESDAY_1,WEDNESDAY_1,THURSDAY_1,FRIDAY_1
MONDAY_2,TUESDAY_2,WEDNESDAY_2,THURSDAY_2,FRIDAY_2

I want to be able to just change tapes each day without any more configuration.

Problem 1:
With Arcserve 6.6 (on Novell 5.1). I have to tell arcserve what tape is in. If I do not it will overwrite the tape with the previous day's label. How can I configure Arcserve to recognize the tape that is in the drive, regardless of label and use that tape to perform the backup?

Problem 2:
Arcserve 2000 on NT. Same issue. I had it working, but something changed. Now it wants to overwrite the new tape with yesterday's label unless I change it?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

If you are NOT using tape rotation then
specify the MEDIA NAME as * and Arcserve will use the name already on the tape.

Using Arcserve 6.61.

JimInKS,

When I specify * in the Media Name slot I receive the error message:

You must specify a media name.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

When scheduleing the backup job you must pick "Custom Schedule" and not "Use Rotation Scheme" under the Schedule tab.

Under destination for GROUP you should have the name of the group your tape drive is in. I think this should default to the correct value, GROUP0. If you have more than 1 tape drive or have changed your hardware you may need to change this.

And for MEDIA you should put *.

I don't change my config much, so I'm not an expert by any means. It is possible there is some other setting that I am overlooking. Let me know if this works for you or you are still having trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back