Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Arcserve 6.5 upgrade to 2000/2001 and moving to a different drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

sedona95

IS-IT--Management
Jan 12, 2001
US
I have a problem that i need some help with.

The company that I am working for currently has a copy of Acrserve 6.5 and the open files agent for it. But we have just installed a new DLT1 drive and it is not on the 6.5 compatibility list. So I am forced to upgrade!!

What I would like to do is to move the software to another drive at the same time so the databases can be taken off the system partition and open up some drive space. Any ideasa on the smooothest transition?

And lastly, when I buy the upgrade, will I have to buy the openfiles agent again? Can its software be moved as well to the other partition. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

You can get a complete description of the upgrade process from the release notes here at CA's support site :

After an an upgrade installation of Arcserve 2000 you must run DBTOVLDB.EXE

In your situation You have a couple of choices.

1) Upgrade to Arcserve 2000 in the volume you are currently installed, convert to vldb, backup the arcserve database, uninstall Arcserve. Finally install Arcserve in the volume you desire and restore the database.

2) Shutdown arcserve database engine; Copy all the arcserve database files from the database directory to a safe place. Uninstall arcserve 6.x, reinstall arcserve 6.x to the location of your choice, copy the arcserve database files you removed from the original installation (back to the arcserve database directory), run the DBtoVLDB.EXE

The BAqckup Agent for Open Files is new for Arcserve 2000, you may be eligible for upgrade pricing. Check our website for particulars and give us a call or email.
I, nor my employer are responsible for any loss or damage incurred by following these instructions. In other words, do it at your own risk.

As always, you should make complete backups with appropriate testing for integrity.

James.Horvath@truedatasan.com
True Data Storage Networks., Inc.
CA Storage Solutions Provider
StorageTek Authorized Dealer

Thanks for the help. I'll check out those sites and let you know about the upgrade for the company..

Sedona95

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back