Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Arcserve 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

nuedge

Technical User
Jan 29, 2002
US
We are having a problem with Arcserve running on Windows 2000 server. There is a job active in the Job status but when we click on properties it is blank. We cannot stop it or delete the job. Any ideas?

First - Kill your Arcserve job the easy way. Download the KILL.EXE program on Microsoft's web site and put it in the WINNT\system32 folder. Then you can go to the CMD prompt and type "kill asrunjob" and you will stop your job ASAP.

Next you have to find out what the problem is with the backup and why it's acting funky. Make sure you have SP3 for Arcserve 2000 installed (I would not install SP4 yet because it is new). That is the very minimum patch level I would try running with. Here is the link for SP3
There are other patches since then such as Device Support patches which I will list below that you should apply
If you are running the Open File Agent then you MUST apply this patch. I had a huge problem with V E R Y slow backup on remote machines until I applied this one.

I have had this problem also. I also ran the kill process utility but the job stays active in the job queue. Prior to SP3 when I killed the asrunjob process the job status would say "crashed" for a few seconds and then restart itself. I would then stop the job from Arcserve and all was fine. Now when I kill the asrunjob process the job stays active in the job queue and has no properties. The only solution that works for me now is to kill the asrunjob process as before. Then I delete the 00000001.qsd directory under the Arcserve directory and replace it with a good copy I save for just this purpose.

Another useful utility is the TLIST.exe utility that works with the KILL cmd. Get it from Microsoft. Go to the command prompt and type TLIST. It will list all the processes running. I also will list AS jobs by their specific job number. You can now use the KILL cmd to kill the specific job. Works everytime

I actually had the same problem. The KILL.EXE did not work.

I was able to resolve it.

Stop ALL ENGINES (Tape, Database, Job Engines). Go to the ARCSERVE folder (usually under Program Files\ComputerAssociates\ARCServe. If there is a folder with QSD as the last three letters (such as 00000001.QSD), move it to a different location (like C:\Garbage\). The QSD folder is where all job queues reside.

Restart the Engines and the jobs are gone.

Guys check the Arcserve2000 Support Site. There is a patch which stops the Phantom ACTIVE jobs. I applied it today, and it works. The ACTIVE jobs went on HOLD, without me changing the status of them manually. Only drawback is, Arcserve SP4 is a prerequisite. And it doesn't stop the Dr Watson ASRUNJOB.EXE error from happening. Bright-Stor needs to get their act together. I had no such problems with ARCserveIT 7.0 (except at Daylight Savings changes).

Are you viewing the job from a Terminal Server session? If so, there was a patch that corrected this.

Also, if you are using a tape library, or are sharing a library, then it is possible that it is waiting for the library to become available before the job begins. Enable tape debugging to see if there is any activity.

Hey guys
I tried Epistemic (Visitor) Jul 26, 2002
and it worked deleted the QSD file but now the tape is not being recognized at all, please shine some light on this

Hey guys
and it worked deleted the QSD file but now the tape is not being recognized at all, please shine some light on this

Hey guys

try it man..
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ComputerAssociates\ARCserveIT\Base\TapeEngine
Under this key create a new KEY called CONFIG
Give it a Dword Value of EnableSharedDevices and make the Dword value 1.
Stop and start tape engine.

let me know the result.
Thanks
just check it man

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back