Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Arcserve 2000 vs. Backup Exec 8.6, which is better??

Status
Not open for further replies.

kketsa

IS-IT--Management
Oct 3, 2001
CA
We are migrating to Windows 2000 from Netware and I looking for anyones input about Backup Exec 8.6 and/or Arcserve 2000, comments on thruput and reliability would be great. Id also be interested in comments about disaster recovery? how did these products perform in the real world?

thanks in advance
Ken

I use BackUp Exec 8.5 on a windows 2000 server, covering 4 servers and many workstations. one of the servers run MS exchange 5.5, one runs SQL 7.0 (from SMS 2.0)

I found the BE remote options easy to install, and the system was soon up and running, backing up all the servers and workstations without any issues.

well worth the investment IMHO.

hope this helps.

Jon. :)
----------------------------------------
To be is to do (Sartre)
To do is to be (Casmus)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
----------------------------------------

I've used both Arcserve 2000 and BE 8.6. Both will produce a good backup, but in my opinion Arcserve 2000 is the better of the two. BE 8.6 relies totally on Microsoft for it's API's using the SQL and Exchange agent. Specifically comparing the Exchange agents....Arcserve blows BE 8.6 away in throughput!!!! It takes literally 7.5 hours to backup our Exchange server(approx. 75 mailboxes). The reporting in BE 8.6 is inaccurate. As far as support is concerned...yes...Arcserve support is slow and can take some time for them to get back with you, but they have always been reliable. BE 8.6 support has been good, but you do pay for it.

I have pretty much just used Veritas, for Netware & NT, and currently w/ 8.6 and the Exchange agent loaded, we can restore individual mailboxes, but not individual public folders. It seems like ARcserve can restore indiv. public folders, although I've never used it.
Another issue w/ Veritas b/u is that I can only restore users' entire Lotus Notes .nsf files, but not "brick-level" for Notes, even with the Notes/Domino agent. I don't know if another program can do this or not.
Thanks,

Has someone used Veritas Storage Replicator? If you did what is your experience with it?

Has someone used Veritas Storage Replicator? If you did what is your experience with it?

Try offsite storage. There are companies that provide the service for a decent price. The one I use and like is from It has an easy to use interface for backups and restores are simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back