Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

arcserve 2000 - upgrade to brighstor or veritas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wallst32

MIS
Apr 14, 2003
US
I have Arcserve 2000/7.0. Now that the product is no longer supported, it is time to start looking at upgrades to support newer operating systems.

I have experience using Arcserve 6.61 and 7.0. Under 6.61, I ran into many issues with the databases being corrupt, which always resulted in a reinstall of the software and a fresh new database as supportt could never solve the problem in a timely manner (I needed my backups running that night, not in a few weeks).

Under 7.0, I've had better luck with the databases. A few times they wouldn't load, but after reboots and patches, they would always "fix" themselves, but give me a little scare. The one major gripe I had was with the Exchange 2000 agent. I documented all procedures on setting up the backup agent. Following the same steps on a test machines, would always get mixed results. Their instructions just didn't work for me, and I had to write my own. Searching the web for the error messages I received yielded lots of "hits" indicating I wasn't the only one in this boat.

The purpose of this post isn't to bash CA/Arcserve, but to show my disappointment in past experiences with their product. Are their newer versions any better than the old ones? Should I make the jump to Veritas?

I have used some Veritas Netbackup primarily for Solaris boxes and never had any problems.

Same thoughts about ARC.
I'm also planning to move but the chances are Veritas Netbackup or HP Data Protector.
After evaluating both (not even try Brightstor 11, don't feel like that after our experiences) I prefer Data Protector and it's cheaper. Veritas has a lot of Java. It's good but prefer Data protector. I'm sure they all will have patches and fixes like everything in this world but for a month I havent had any problem with Data protector and very few with Veritas. They both have a nice interface and some of the components are included with the main license.

A good backup program would not have to take so much time reinstalling and fixing databases or anything else almost every week.

Hope this was valuable and helpful.

Best regards!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back