Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Arcserve 2000 Slow Backups 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hutch513

MIS
Jan 24, 2002
US
I am running Arcserve 2000 with an NT 4.0 Compaq Server and am backing up to a brand new SDLT 110/220 GB tape drive. I have been told that I should be able to back up my 50+ GB of data in under two hours, however it has been taking over 9 hours each time. Does anyone know how to increase the throughput so that I can speed up these backups? I know that the new SDLT tape drives are supposed to scream, but so far I'm not seeing it. Thanks!

Ouch, throughput could be a million things. I suggest you start with the LAN card if remote, or the SCSI card if local and remote. There is so much to check.

SDLT backup at 11 MB/second native. First rule of thumb, NEVER calculate asuming compression.

11 x 60 = 660 MB per minute.

50 Gig of data should then be backed up in 1.3 hours.

Bare in mind that is absolute optimal!!!!!

So taking 9 hours I agree you have a throughput problem.

It would be interesting to know though if your backing up locally or remote? If your server can handle ARCserve, if your scsi cables are fine, if your using hardware or software compression? If your antivirus is set to incoming and outgoing (should be incoming only or else you get a million scans for every 500000 files, hence the slow down). There is so much to troubleshoot. :)

guru

If you happen to be using the Arcserve 2000 Agent, remove it. I recommend using the 6.61 Agent even if CA reckon it doesn't work with Arcserve 2000. I noticed when I ran the 6.61 Client Agent connecting to Acrserve 2000 (V7) I had no issues. As soon as I installed the 2000 Agent, Including SP2 for Arcserve 2000 Server and SP2 Client Agent update all went to mustard. File Pattern Filter failed to work (*.tmp), Compression was not working and above all performance went from a respectable 300-400 mb/min to a shocking 70 mb/min. Well as soon as I noticed that my 17 NT4.0 Server backup (330 GB full backup) took 23hrs through the 6.61 Agent and an alarming 4 Days (Finally gave up after 10 servers)through the 2000 agent. I removed all the 2000 client agents and went back to the 6.61 agent and finally got some worth while sleep and got to keep my job.

If you are backing up remotely, ensure that both devices are running at the same network speed - ie. 100Mb Full Duplex. The speed and duplex setting have to be the same. -----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

I am having almost the same exact problem. I am getting 100 mb a minute. I backed up 148 gb in 17 hours. Heres the setup:

Compaq DL580 with 4 Arrays (2 200gb, 2 400gb)

OS Win2k, Norton Corporate ED Vscan

Local Scsi Compaq SDLT 110/220

Arcserve 2k AE, SP3, Patch for Arcserve support for the Drive, Win2k Drivers from Compaq installed for the drive.

Any help would be appreciated,
Chuxxx

Try setting the speed on the remote servers to Half-Duplex.
We got a 10-fold increase in throughput when we did this. Also see if the NIC driver is current. New revs of the drivers made a big difference also.

I have just experienced the same problem of very slow throughput. Verified all switch ports were running at 100MB Full (Forced) Verified NICS were at 100MB Full (Forced. We then changed the NICS (just in case. Tried both the ArcServe 2000 client for NT and when that failed, the 6.6 Client. All of these steps yielded a backup of approx. 12MB per Min. Installed SP3 for ArcServe 2000 on both the clients and the server. This resulted in our normal expectancy of apprx 430MB per Min. This is the same throughput we have been realizing with ArcServe 6.6 over the past few years.

Has anybody checked if all the drives backed up give the same speed ?

I get extremely low speeds from system drives (~50MB/min) other drives give up to 10 times more. It has smth to do with OFA agent. Once I was able to get great speeds with latest ofa dll's but later the speeds dropped again for some unknown reason & I havent really investigated it any more.

We are having the same issue with slow response when backing up across the network !!
Installed Arcserve 2000 Enterprise Edition (Version 7.0 build 1086) with the client agent that was shipped with the product Version 7.0 build 1037 and are now experiencing extremely slow response when backing up over the network using the client agent.

The previous version Arcserve Enterprise edition – 6.61 No Problem in backing up with Arcserve 6.61 client agent.

These are some of the stats we are seeing when backing up.

Average Throughput............ 17.41 MB/min – Client agent – Arcserve 2000

Average Throughput............ 12.01 MB/min – Network (No Arcserve 2000 client)

Average Throughput............ 136.66 MB/min – Client Agent Arcserve 6.61 - Old backup Method.

Tested going back one vesrion of the Arcserve Client to 6.61 Build 840 = Average Throughput............ 17.38 MB/min

2 net cards – running full duplex 100 mb – manual setting

OS – NT 4.0 SP 6A

Dell 4300 – 2 Gig Ram.

If you are also running InoculateIT or AAO as a virus protection program, make sure the Fast Backup box is checked in the Real Time Monitor. This caused us problems.

And to add, set realtime scan to incoming only.

Have you tried setting your network to half duplex all around? I know it sounds slower, but...... your netowork may have a problem with full.

I know that is disproved by going back to the old arcerveit, but try it out and see.

g

The BrightStor Arcserve 2000 Advanced Edition is running on a Dell 4300 server with Exchange 5.5 as the main application. Norton Corporate Edition scans the server with the scanning function enabled for incoming files & Trend Scan Mail scans the email.

We are reluctant to change the speed on this server from 100 mb full duplex back to half - duplex as we have been informed that this will reduce overall network speed.

Can someone advise if Version 7.0 build 1086 is "SP3" ??

I had a silimar problem with an HP DLT1 - it was down to MBs per minute rather than per second.

The problem was the arcserve 6.61 DLT default block size being set at 512KB rather than 64MB. I changed the registry setting and bang... up to speed.

The HP details are on:

though the details about the registry key locations may be a bit different for 2k (it will still be under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE but probably CA rather than Cheyenne.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back