Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ARCserve 2000 shows Dismounted tapes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 26, 2002
US
I did fresh installation of Windows 2000 w/ SP3, then ARCserve 2000 SP4 with Tape Library option. Everything went through smoothly (I frequently checked event viewer). I also used ARCserve Device Configuration to configure the tape library and designate the last slot for the cleaning tape. I started all ARCserve services successfully. However, the ARCserve shows all tapes DISMOUNTED. I checked the event viewer showing Event ID error 8023 w/ EC=CATRIDGE NOT IN THE SLOT. I used Compaq utility tool to check the backup library, the results showed all tests passed. Here is the hardware configuration:

Adaptech SCSI 29160 Controller
Compaq StorageWorks TL891DLX MiniLibrary 10-slot 40/80G DLT

Tape and Medium Changer in Windows Device Manager show correct drivers for the above devices.

Please help me solve this problem. Thanks a lot in advance.

Hi,
Does the drive/changer have barcode enabled..
also remove the tapeengine key in the registry and reboot
the server and verify if the same probelem exists.
regedt32/hkeylocalmachine/software/arcserve/base/tapeengine
delete this and reboot server..

Gud Luck!

Thank you very much for your suggestion. Things still didn't work. I finally called ARCserve for paid technical support incident. They found that Compaq DEC TL800 library is not on their Certified Device List. I didn't pay attention to this point because I currently have another identical backup library running fine on Windows NT 4 server and ARCserve 6.61. The only difference between these 2 backup units is the library firmware version. Maybe that's the cause. I'm trying to contact Compaq to get the same firmware version as the one running. Hopefully, this will work. If not, I guess I have to buy another unit (cost me more than $10K), or use another backup software that's compatible with it. Again, thanks a lot for your help.

Funny that you are having this problem. I have a dds4 autoloader that was working with as6.61. moved to as2000 and have not had a good backup since. one of the problems is the library dismounting after using one tape. CA did suggested that with library to power down server and power down autoloader. Turn on autoloader and wait till its done its thing then powerup server. in my case firmware version is different to the one on Computer associates hcl. The firmware they've certified dont exist according to compaq. hohum

Hi edwardduong
I think the CA people didn't want to work or didn't know their own CDL. Have a look at this link:
and search after TL891 you will find it certified with AS2k.
I have the same problem and I am researching this issue at the time (TL895 4 drives DLT35/70). Maybe I can give you some hints in a few days. Maybe the new device support patch from CA may help.
KR
Gery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back