Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

arcserve 2000 refusing to restore even though file is in session!

Status
Not open for further replies.

crveni

Programmer
Nov 12, 2003
GB
Hello

I am running arcserve 2000 Advanced edition Version 7(Build 1100) with arcserve service pack 4 installed.

The os is windows 2000 with SP4 installed.

The tape drive is a compaq SDLT 110/220.

Note the restore is being done on the same machine(client/server)
The files(word/excel) I wanted to restore was on the session of my tape.
I specified that it will be restored to a different directory.

After a long time trying it comes back with the follwoing errors

E3717 Unable to goto cluster (CLUSTER=4016316, EC=Hardware Error)
E3842 Unable to find file (FILE=\\NIKFILE\D:\Shared\danzas insurance\18B6A000 MEDIA=nikfile tuesday)

Initially I thought it could be a rogue tape. If it was a hardware error on tape why did it let me backup on it? So the drive was cleaned & another tape was used. However still the same result occured.

Next was the backup tapes were merged again & a attempt was madeto restore. The same result occured.

To confuse things even more I restored my home directory data successful to another directory with one of the problem tapes.

Has anyone had this problem before?
Is there anything blatantly wrong with what I am doing?
I did look at the ca website regarding errors but nothing helpful came of it.

Thanks

keybuild -k -L arcserve;admin;secret as...

If you don't want to go through the time/trouble of repair, don't just delete the database directory, either:
Initilize the database
recover an old version that is known good
Install ARCserve to a test system, then you can use that blank database folder to replace the current one.

I tried rebuilding the database with the dchain & keybuild.

A intialise database option was also attempted.

But the same problem remains. It cannot see session 2 restores. Any ideas?

I went back through this. It looks like there were two problems. One with the Database preventing data from session 2 showing up. The other preventing even a restore by media from working. You solved the second by getting rid of the drivers. The first is puzzeling. If there is no corruption then why should the merge fail.
Ok it does not show up under Restore, does it show up under Database by any of the views or quiry?
Is the DB Prunning job running after the merge and before you are checking for it? Perhaps it is just getting pruned out.
Is it just session 2 from this particular tape?
How about other sessions other tapes do they show up?
Have you ever restored from session 2 before?

Hello

Why would the Pruning cause the problem as records are kept for 30 days?

The DB Pruning starts at 12pm the backup at 20:00.

Thanks for your help so far.

Hi all,

I have the exact same problem as crveni, can not restore particular folder from a successfull backup. I get this error:
E3717
Unable to goto cluster. (CLUSTER=13558160, EC=NO DATA DETECTED)
E3842
Unable to find file. (FILE=\\SERVER06\E:\DEPTS\.....MEDIA=THURSDAY)

I have tried to upgrade to ARCServe 11.1 SP1, disabled drivers to autoloader and drive in Windows, initialized database from scratch and erased all tapes. Than successfull backup was performed that was split onto 2 tapes, both automatically named THURSDAY. Restore of particular folder still not possible.

What do I do next? SW/HW supplier did not help much.

Details:
Windows Server 2003
CA Arcserver Brightstor 11.1 SP1
HP SSL1016 autoloader with Ultrium 460 drive. THX jaypee

try the restore by backup media.

There is a new Tape Engine update to be installed on top of SP1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back