Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Arcserve 2000/Netware 5.0 Long file restore corruption

Status
Not open for further replies.

ftig

MIS
Mar 25, 2002
US
I am currently running Arcserve 2000 and backup Netware 5.0 servers. The problem is that when restoring files that have long file names, such as Access databases, the restored file is corrupted. I have worked with CA support and they only recommended that we set the Use SMS for DOS and MAC files to Yes.

Any help appreciated

I'll go ahead and respond to myself. Here is what I have learned so far. When using the Arcserver Agent on the Netware Server (by using I am referring to the option to use the Agent from within the Arcserve 2000 Manager application) I can never get a consisent restore. In most cases the backup appears to run correctly, but restores exhibit truncated file names and when attempting to open any restored file an error message occurs indicating that the files is not a recognized file type.

By setting up a backup job and ignoring the Agent options, the backup executes correctly and so do the restores. The question now is, why even use the Netware Agent?

One final note:
Ignoring the Agent option didn't work until I ran nt483pt2 on my Windows 2000 PC.

> I'll go ahead and respond to myself. Here is what I have > learned so far. When using the Arcserver Agent on the > Netware Server (by using I am referring to the option to > use the Agent from within the Arcserve 2000 Manager > application) I can never get a consisent restore. In > most cases the backup appears to run correctly, but > restores exhibit truncated file names and when attempting > to open any restored file an error message occurs > indicating that the files is not a recognized file type.

I have seen this behaviour a few times. It is very important that when you backup without agent, that you restore without the agent. Or if you backup with agent, you restore with etc. Also, try to do the restore to the same server and not to windows nt/2000 server.
That solved my problems

Greetings Eva van Goor

Thanks Eva, I will see if restoring with the Agent works. Amidst all of my attempts, I can't recall if I was doing that or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back