Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Arcserve 2000: Full local backup problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebac

Technical User
Jun 13, 2002
AU
I am trying to create a new disaster recovery backup set for a single windows 2000 server, running Exhchange and ArcServe 2000 with the Exchange Agent. CA state that a server disaster recovery set requires the entire server's tree in Arcserve to be highlighted green. Which I did and after the Backup procedure finished, the log reported over 7 errors and 135,000+ warnings. The almost every warning is the following...

W3404 Unable to open file (O:\DOMAIN.COM.AU\MBX\USERNAME\FOLDERNAME\MESSAGE_SUBJECT.EML, ec=1167)

Any assistance on the matter would be helpful. We can't rely totally on basic file-level and brick-level backups forever.

System: Win2k Server SP1, Exchange 2000 SP1, InocculateIT 6.0 with exchange mail scanner add-in, Arcserve 2000. Patches applied in order were SP3, Exchange Agent, SP4, QO23827 (to fix the backup hanging for local machine).

1167 looks like the OS error for Device is Not Connnected.
Is O:\DOMAIN.COM.AU\ a local or a mapped drive?
Are you sure it was available for the backup?

Exchange 2000 is installed on drive E. 'O' is Exchange's virtual drive. Usually by defualt exchange picks 'M', but it was already mapped to another network share.

Some progress.

After applying the QO22348 (brick level) patch, I managed to get the error warnings down to 6 (all relating to disabled accounts) and 3216 warnings. A significant drop in warnings, but I'd still like to know why I could get so many path not found warnings relating to local exchange email messages.

Ok, I've narrowed it down a little bit after I looked a little closer at the warning log. I noticed that I am not getting the same warning. As I first pointed out, I was getting ec=1167 next to each warning entry. Now I am getting EC=FILE NOT FOUND. After some hunting round I noticed that, guess what, they weren't there. I found this article on the CA's website It says that it creates a image of what was selected and then subsequently it will ignore any files/messages that have been moved, renamed or deleted.

Sounds fair enough, but say I have a scheduled script called LOCAL_BACKUP.ASX. I save it and set it run every weekday. Is the working 'image' prepared the instant the schedule job starts or is it prepared at design time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back